Quantcast

CSoundQt - can't save a file?

daniel1989
I'm new to CSoundQt, and I downloaded it from the CSound website and followed a simple tutorial to produce a 440 Hz tone for 5 seconds.  When I tried to run the program, I was prompted to save the file, but when I named the file and tried to save it, it gave me an error saying that it couldn't save my file (and hence I couldn't run it) because it was "read-only"

Anyone know what's going on?  I tried googling it, and looked at a few forums but no one else seems to be having this problem.

Re: [Qutecsound-users] CSoundQt - can't save a file?

Welcome.

Does this happen with any file? Have you tried giving it a different name or saving it in a different directory?

I haven't heard of anyone having this issue, but it might be some Windows issue, and I tend to get less reports from Windows users.

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 7:02 PM, daniel1989 <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm new to CSoundQt, and I downloaded it from the CSound website and followed
a simple tutorial to produce a 440 Hz tone for 5 seconds.  When I tried to
run the program, I was prompted to save the file, but when I named the file
and tried to save it, it gave me an error saying that it couldn't save my
file (and hence I couldn't run it) because it was "read-only"

Anyone know what's going on?  I tried googling it, and looked at a few
forums but no one else seems to be having this problem.

Re: [Qutecsound-users] CSoundQt - can't save a file?

Jim Aikin
My guess is, you're trying to save to a protected directory. In Windows
7 (which is the OS I use), the default installation of Csound is into
Program Files (x86). Windows is very finicky about letting you save
anything to that folder. (I always install Csound to its own folder in
the root C: drive.)

Create a folder in My Documents (or the Mac equivalent, if you're on
Mac) called csound music or something of the sort, and do a Save As to
that folder. I'll bet money it will work perfectly.

--Jim Aikin

On 12/14/2013 7:02 PM, daniel1989 wrote:

> I'm new to CSoundQt, and I downloaded it from the CSound website and followed
> a simple tutorial to produce a 440 Hz tone for 5 seconds.  When I tried to
> run the program, I was prompted to save the file, but when I named the file
> and tried to save it, it gave me an error saying that it couldn't save my
> file (and hence I couldn't run it) because it was "read-only"
>
> Anyone know what's going on?  I tried googling it, and looked at a few
> forums but no one else seems to be having this problem.

Re: [Qutecsound-users] CSoundQt - can't save a file?

daniel1989
Oh wow, thanks.  Yeah that worked, but now I'm having the following MIDI issue when I try to run my program:

*** PortMIDI: error: device number is out of range
 *** error opening MIDI in device: -1 (Unknown MIDI error)

Sorry to keep bugging for help, but I'm not sure what this means?

On 12/14/2013 8:10 PM, daniel1989 wrote:
> Oh wow, thanks.  Yeah that worked, but now I'm having the following MIDI
> issue when I try to run my program:
>
> *** PortMIDI: error: device number is out of range
>   *** error opening MIDI in device: -1 (Unknown MIDI error)
>
> Sorry to keep bugging for help, but I'm not sure what this means?

portmidi is a little flaky, in my Windows system anyway. I get the same
error message sometimes -- and then it goes away. If you're not using
MIDI, just go into the Run tab in the Configuration box and choose None
for the RT MIDI Module.

And no need to apologize for asking for help -- we all need help with
this stuff from time to time!

--Jim Aikin

Re: [Qutecsound-users] CSoundQt - can't save a file?

daniel1989
Okay thanks a lot, that worked.  Next question haha:

Whenever I run my program, the tone plays, but then CsoundQt freezes and I have to force quit it and reopen it if I want to run the program again.  Not sure why it's doing this as I'm running OS X 10.8 and using the latest version of CsoundQt, my laptop can handle Ableton Live pretty well, so I don't think it's an issue with my laptop.  Any advice?

On 12/14/2013 10:02 PM, daniel1989 wrote:
> Okay thanks a lot, that worked.  Next question haha:
>
> Whenever I run my program, the tone plays, but then CsoundQt freezes and I
> have to force quit it and reopen it if I want to run the program again.  Not
> sure why it's doing this as I'm running OS X 10.8 and using the latest
> version of CsoundQt, my laptop can handle Ableton Live pretty well, so I
> don't think it's an issue with my laptop.  Any advice?

The Mac experts may know more about compatibility issues than I. What
version exactly of Csound and OSX are you using? They'll want to know that.

The first question to look at is, does this happen with the example .csd
files in the Examples directory, or only with your file?

Try fiddling with a couple of the settings in the Configuration window,
in the Run tab. Try checking or unchecking Use New Parser and Use
Multicore, those would be the place to start.

Let us know what your results are.

--JA

Re: [Qutecsound-users] CSoundQt - can't save a file?

Are you using the latest nightly build? There have been some important fixes to a bugs that sounds like what you describe.

Cheers,
Andres