Quantcast

Crash with 0.82 and OSX - midi input

boonier
Hi

I'm noticing that CsoundQT version 0.82 is crashing/freezing when it receives a midi note event. The first csd that I run seems to work fine, then all other csds I run seem to crash. All the FLOSS examples and some of the other Getting Started >Realtime interaction ones too.

I'm on csound 6.02 and OSX 10.6.8.

Below is an example of a crashing patch. I tweaked the way that the freq/amp enters the instrument a bit to be like the MIDI Receiving Notes example (which oddly doesn't crash).

thanks

+++

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
--midi-key-cps=4 --midi-velocity-amp=5
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>
;Example by Joachim Heintz
sr = 44100
ksmps = 32
nchnls = 2
0dbfs = 1

giSine    ftgen     0, 0, 2^10, 10, 1
          massign 0, 1

instr 1 ;master instrument
ibasfreq  = p4 ;base frequency
iampmid = p5*20

inparts   =         int(iampmid)+1 ;exclude zero
ipart     =         1 ;count variable for loop
;loop for inparts over the ipart variable
;and trigger inparts instances of the sub-instrument
loop:
ifreq     =         ibasfreq * ipart
iamp      =         1/ipart/inparts
          event_i   "i", 10, 0, 1, ifreq, iamp
          loop_le   ipart, 1, inparts, loop
endin

instr 10 ;subinstrument for playing one partial
ifreq     =         p4 ;frequency of this partial
iamp      =         p5 ;amplitude of this partial
aenv      transeg   0, .01, 0, iamp, p3-.01, -3, 0
apart     poscil    aenv, ifreq, giSine
          outs      apart/3, apart/3
endin

</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
f 0 3600
</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Crash with 0.82 and OSX - midi input

First, what MIDI module are you using? On recent version, you should be able to select the internal MIDI interface. You should then disable the Csound MIDI modules (which are the one that usually produce this problem). If you disable Csound MIDI modules, are you still getting the crash?

Next, can you try the nightly build? Does it exhibit the same behavior?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qutecsound/files/CsoundQt/nightly-osx/

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 6:35 AM, boonier <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Andres

Using all the settings you specify & with the latest nightly 0.82, still getting the same crashes.

On the other hand, using 0.81 (with the Csound RT Midi Module) and cs 6.01 it works a treat.

cheers

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Crash with 0.82 and OSX - midi input

boonier
I guess it might be due to some changes in Coremidi between 10.6 and 10.8.

Does that mean the latest nightly has solved this issue?

many thanks