Quantcast

Fwd: Qutecsound users Output Filename

Gregg
Hey Andres - From our last email I wanted to ask another ? - and be as specific as I can.  As you know csound/qutesound has 13 toots.  If I open one of the examples - i.e. Toot1 - then I change the paramenters in the sco - I save it.  When I save it the default is Toot1.csd - from there go into the config panel under the run tab to select the output filename I want to use - users/greggthompson/desktop/Toot1.csd.  Then after I save as this info - on my desktop - I go to the run tab & and change the output filemname - Desktop/Toot1.aif & the system understands that  - to allow me to save this file as that - also - on my desktop.  I a nutshell that's the problem I having - I can't  or unable to select that info to save this files as I want to.  I hope you can understand what I'm explaining & can help?

Cheers - Gregg

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gregg Thompson <[hidden email]>
Date: April 25, 2012 3:47:47 PM EDT
To: "Andres Cabrera [via QuteCsound Users]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: RE: Qutecsound users Output Filename

Hey Andres - I can select a audio file and input into the field - but now which toot do I use so the orch & sco will work correctly with the audio file?

Cheers - Gregg

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Fwd: Qutecsound users Output Filename

Jim Aikin
Gregg, from what you're saying it seems possible you're unclear on the
difference between a .csd file (which is computer code) and an .aif file
(which is a stored audio signal.

On 4/29/2012 11:12 AM, Gregg wrote:
> Hey Andres - From our last email I wanted to ask another ? - and be as
> specific as I can.  As you know csound/qutesound has 13 toots.  If I
> open one of the examples - i.e. Toot1 - then I change the paramenters
> in the sco - I save it.  When I save it the default is Toot1.csd -
> from there go into the config panel under the run tab to select the
> output filename I want to use - users/greggthompson/desktop/Toot1.csd.

This is not the intended purpose of that field. That field should
contain an AUDIO filename, not a .csd. The filename (and path) that you
enter in this field will be used when you click the Render button.

> Then after I save as this info - on my desktop -

What info? It's not clear what you're saving, or what you think you're
saving.

> I go to the run tab & and change the output filemname -
> Desktop/Toot1.aif & the system understands that  - to allow me to save
> this file as that - also - on my desktop.  I a nutshell that's the
> problem I having - I can't  or unable to select that info to save this
> files as I want to.  I hope you can understand what I'm explaining &
> can help?

No, you're still not being clear. Sorry. What "info" are you talking about?

There is a checkbox next to the output filename field. The field only
becomes available when you check the checkbox. Is that the source of the
confusion? It would seem not, since you seem (from the start of the
paragraph above) to be able to enter a filename in that field.

If you can explain what you mean by "info," maybe we'll be able to sort
this out.

--JA

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Fwd: Qutecsound users Output Filename

Gregg
Jim,

What I've been trying to do is select AUDIO filename - as you mentioned.  The checkbox next to the output filename - is checked.

I can't seem the select the filename - the one I would use as the audio file.

You mentioned about clicking on the Render button - will that allow to select a audio fllename?

Cheers - Gregg

On 4/30/2012 12:05 PM, Gregg wrote:
> Jim,
>
> What I've been trying to do is select AUDIO filename - as you mentioned.
> The checkbox next to the output filename - is checked.
>
> I can't seem the select the filename - the one I would use as the audio
> file.

I have no trouble selecting a pre-existing audio file (or, indeed, any
other file) by clicking the little button with three dots and then
selecting the file in the file dialog box. It's just as easy to type a
new filename.

Interestingly enough, if I choose Toot1.csd as the filename in the
output field and then click the Render button, CsoundQt 0.6 cheerfully
saves an audio file with the .csd extension. Arguably, it shouldn't do this.

> You mentioned about clicking on the Render button - will that allow to
> select a audio fllename?

No, that simply renders your .csd output to your hard drive as an audio
file, using the filename (and folder) you've entered in the output field
of the Run box.

--JA

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Fwd: Qutecsound users Output Filename

Gregg
Jim - I was able to render the toot1 as toot1.aiff.  The only thing that I was wondering - when it appears/save to my desktop - the original file appears with Qutecsound icon - the .aiff appears as to basic file and plays in iTunes.  I wanted it play it as a Qutecsound.aiff file in Qutescsound.

Gregg

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Fwd: Qutecsound users Output Filename

Hi Gregg,

Now you've got it. Qutecsound is not designed to play aiff files, only
to work with csd files. You need to play aiff files in a player like
iTunes or an editor like Audacity.

On 4/30/2012 12:46 PM, Gregg wrote:
> Jim - I was able to render the toot1 as toot1.aiff.  The only thing that I
> was wondering - when it appears/save to my desktop - the original file
> appears with Qutecsound icon - the .aiff appears as to basic file and plays
> in iTunes.  I wanted it play it as a Qutecsound.aiff file in Qutescsound.

That's possible, but (a) it requires some Csound programming, and (b)
why would you want to do that?

To take the second question first, QuteCsound is _not_ an audio player.
It's not designed to play audio files "out of the box." If you don't
like iTunes, you can download Audacity (it's free and cross-platform)
and play the audio files in it.

If you want to listen to Toot1.csd in QuteCsound, just hit the Play
button. That's much easier than rendering a file and then trying to
reimport it somehow.

If you actually want to play the audio file in QuteCsound, you need to
create a .csd file that implements an audio player. This is not hard to
do. In fact, if you go to the Examples -> Useful menu, you'll find a
multichannel player that does exactly that. Just open the Widgets panel
and type the name of your file into the Open File box.

Hope this helps!

--JA

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Fwd: Qutecsound users Output Filename

Gregg
Thanx for the last email Jim - it did help.  I was informed from Dr. Richard Boulanger from Berklee that you are the owner of Keyboard mag - which I think is cool!!  I have ? about toot8 - soundin - I tried to import a soundin from another source and received a error message from the orch - that the soundfile couldn't be recongized.  Can you me with this? Also I saw your new book of Csound Power - someday I'll purchase it - I think it would be a great help with csoundqt.

On 5/10/2012 10:54 AM, Gregg wrote:
> Thanx for the last email Jim - it did help.  I was informed from Dr. Richard
> Boulanger from Berklee that you are the owner of Keyboard mag - which I
> think is cool!!

Owner? I think you must have misunderstood. I was one of the editors at
Keyboard for 25 years, but I have no ownership interest, and I'm no
longer an employee.

--JA

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Fwd: Qutecsound users Output Filename

Gregg
I sorry about that - I did misunderstood.   About the other ? - toot8 - can you assist me with that?

Gregg

On 5/10/2012 11:50 AM, Gregg wrote:
> I sorry about that - I did misunderstood.   About the other ? - toot8 - can
> you assist me with that?

I can give you a general suggestion, which is this: When describing a
technical problem that you hope others will be able to help you with,
you need to provide more in the way of specifics. People will eventually
become impatient with you if you ask vague questions, because the
questions can't be answered effectively.

In this particular case, what you wrote was this: "I tried to import a
soundin from another source and received a error message from the orch -
that the soundfile couldn't be recongized." The problem here is that one
doesn't import a "soundin" at all. soundin is a Csound opcode, not a
file. It is not something that could ever be imported. So your question
fails to make sense. In order for it to make sense, you would have to
document the procedure you tried to follow, step by step, giving the
name of the file you tried to import (or whatever it was that you did).

To put it succinctly, if you hope to use Csound successfully, you'll
need to become more rigorous and methodical. If you can learn to be
rigorous and methodical, you'll find that many of the questions you
stumble over (though certainly not all of them) will answer themselves.
If you fail to become rigorous and methodical, then you'll only
frustrate yourself and everybody else. I have seen this happen with
other novice users of software systems (nothing to do with music).

In sum, I guess the short answer is, "No, I can't help you with the
question you asked in the form that you asked it, because you haven't
asked it in a comprehensible form." Sorry to be so blunt, but that's the
real answer.

--JA

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Fwd: Qutecsound users Output Filename

tarmoj
Dear Jim,

reading this thread from the side, I am very impressed by your patience,
eagerness to help and politeness. I am really glad to be part of a list of so
dedicated members.

Gregg, I think nobody has ever got csound in simple trial-and-error clicking
around. It does need systematic learning as Jim suggested. You probably know
it already but anyway, I suggest probably the best and clearest place to start
learning is the floss manual edited by Joachim Heintz:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/csound/

Go it through chapter by chapter, try out the examples, experiment with
changing  the code of the examples and I am sure in some month you will be
enjoying the power of csound.

Of course, don't hesitate to ask a question in the lists, if you really can't
figure out something.

kindly,
tarmo

On Thursday 10 May 2012 12:18:29 Jim Aikin wrote:

> On 5/10/2012 11:50 AM, Gregg wrote:
> > I sorry about that - I did misunderstood.   About the other ? - toot8 -
> > can
> > you assist me with that?
>
> I can give you a general suggestion, which is this: When describing a
> technical problem that you hope others will be able to help you with,
> you need to provide more in the way of specifics. People will eventually
> become impatient with you if you ask vague questions, because the
> questions can't be answered effectively.
>
> In this particular case, what you wrote was this: "I tried to import a
> soundin from another source and received a error message from the orch -
> that the soundfile couldn't be recongized." The problem here is that one
> doesn't import a "soundin" at all. soundin is a Csound opcode, not a
> file. It is not something that could ever be imported. So your question
> fails to make sense. In order for it to make sense, you would have to
> document the procedure you tried to follow, step by step, giving the
> name of the file you tried to import (or whatever it was that you did).
>
> To put it succinctly, if you hope to use Csound successfully, you'll
> need to become more rigorous and methodical. If you can learn to be
> rigorous and methodical, you'll find that many of the questions you
> stumble over (though certainly not all of them) will answer themselves.
> If you fail to become rigorous and methodical, then you'll only
> frustrate yourself and everybody else. I have seen this happen with
> other novice users of software systems (nothing to do with music).
>
> In sum, I guess the short answer is, "No, I can't help you with the
> question you asked in the form that you asked it, because you haven't
> asked it in a comprehensible form." Sorry to be so blunt, but that's the
> real answer.
>
> --JA

[Qutecsound-users] MacOS UI Bug

Jim Aikin
I've just downloaded 0.7.0 into my MacBook (OS 10.6.8). What I'm seeing
is that the main program window is slightly wider than my screen, and
can't be made narrower. The standard MacUI lower right corner is
displayed for resizing, and when I drag on this corner I can widen the
main window further, but I can't narrow the main window.

--JA

On 11/27/2012 1:21 PM, Andres Cabrera wrote:

Hi Jim,

I'm slowly getting back to answering emails... I've noticed this too but hasn't realized ir would be an issue on other smaller screens. The probable is sure due to the os x native look that makes icons determine minimum window size. I'll remove the cut copy paste and other icons on an upcoming bug fix release.

That would work.

I've seen many apps (including, I believe, QuteCsound 0.6) in which the extra icons were automatically moved off to a pop-up menu on the right side when the window was narrowed. I would imagine Qt has a widget that will do that.

--JA

Cheers,
Andres

On Nov 22, 2012 10:04 PM, "Jim Aikin" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've just downloaded 0.7.0 into my MacBook (OS 10.6.8). What I'm seeing
is that the main program window is slightly wider than my screen, and
can't be made narrower. The standard MacUI lower right corner is
displayed for resizing, and when I drag on this corner I can widen the
main window further, but I can't narrow the main window.

--JA

Re: [Qutecsound-users] MacOS UI Bug

Hi Jim,

If I build with the Qt look, then the icons will be hidden, but if I
build with the OS X native look (metallic) then icons are not hidden.
Do you think it's better to use the old method of using the Qt look?
(it's just a matter of changing a single line...)

On 11/27/2012 2:26 PM, Andres Cabrera wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> If I build with the Qt look, then the icons will be hidden, but if I
> build with the OS X native look (metallic) then icons are not hidden.
> Do you think it's better to use the old method of using the Qt look?
> (it's just a matter of changing a single line...)

I like the native look ... but on the other hand, I think it would be
nicer for musicians with laptops if the main window can be made narrower.

The program is usable, at least on my MacBook. On an even smaller
monitor, I think the window size might be a problem, but I don't know if
Apple even makes a laptop with a smaller monitor. Mine is more than
three years old. I'm running at 1440x900, which is the highest
resolution this monitor supports.

Personally, I never use the New, Open, Save, Undo, Redo, Cut, Copy, or
Paste buttons -- the keystrokes for those functions are so standard that
the buttons are just taking up screen space. But maybe other people feel
differently. Could you move those buttons off into a floating button
palette that could be opened or closed?

The other thing about the OS X native look is that the file tabs across
the top of the editor window, when multiple .csds are open, are awfully
dark. The lettering is hard to read. I like the look of the file tabs in
the Qt interface.

I'm very happy to see the new version. The spreadsheet-style score is a
terrific feature ... and now I'm going to have to get serious about
learning Python!

--JA

Re: [Qutecsound-users] MacOS UI Bug

One of the main issues will probably be using projectors. As many times they have a lower resolution, so what I'll do is remove the unnecessary icons from the toolbar, they will still be accessible from the menus and keyboard shortcuts.

About the file tabs that's also the os x native look, which I personally like, but I see your point. I would've thought the os x look was designed to please everyone! It's again a one line change, so unless someone raves about the new look, I'll give the tabs their old look.

Cheers,
Andres