Quantcast

[Qutecsound-users] A crash and arch linux package

[Qutecsound-users] A crash and arch linux package

Aparaatti

I played around with the recent csoundqt and it was quite stable. I only managed to crash it ones, when I started a csd without jack running. Maybe there could be some kind of checks for running processes before the launch (just a thought)?

I also took over the arch linux package for csoundqt because nobody seemed to be updating it, so now there is a package with the new name available... :) There was python2-qt in the package build file listed as required dependency, so I was wondering what does one miss, if he doesn't have it available?

..and does anybody know if this: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=53038 is the needed dependency for the build with pythonqt stuff?

Niko H

Re: [Qutecsound-users] A crash and arch linux package

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM, Niko Humalamäki <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I played around with the recent csoundqt and it was quite stable. I only
> managed to crash it ones, when I started a csd without jack running. Maybe
> there could be some kind of checks for running processes before the launch
> (just a thought)?

There really is no easy way to do this, at least that I know of...
CsoundQt trusts Csound to be completely stable. It mostly is, but it
can fail sometimes. The new parser was mainly to blame but all the
known problems have been resolved. Have you managed to determine
whether the crash was due to Csound or CsoundQt? Is the problem
reproducible?

> ..and does anybody know if this:
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=53038 is the needed dependency for
> the build with pythonqt stuff?

Yes, this is what is needed. It's great that Arch packages it, not
many distros package it. I'm very tempted to go Arch for my net linux
install.

Re: [Qutecsound-users] A crash and arch linux package

Aparaatti
Ok, it's not reproducible. Though I had yesterday a weird jack crash, and now I just quickly tested without jack running and csoundqt recovered fine. Don't know was it csound or csoundqt.

I really like arch linux, you get issues now and then, but everytime it has been possible to solve the problem with a decent amount of time. So usually there is always a *good* solution available from the wiki or forums, and at the same time you learn how the system works... so it requires some keeping an eye on in the long run, but has worked well for me so far. Now I tried Intel Core i3/i5/i7 optimized realtime kernel and a lot of audio packages from this repository: http://xsounds.org/~archstudio/ . I'm actually quite amazed how well my m-audio transit works now.

Niko

Re: [Qutecsound-users] A crash and arch linux package

Aparaatti
Oh, FYI

the package in the link is in AUR which is the arch user repository, so these are not official packages. These are kind of use at your own risk, but useful never the less... Also AUR packages basically only contain the script to download the code and build the installable package from it.

Re: [Qutecsound-users] A crash and arch linux package

Thanks for the info. I guess these are like PPAs then, but still, it
means they are available, which is better than the state for my oldish
Ubuntu.