Quantcast

[Qutecsound-users] Controller widget

Rene Djack
Hello Andrès,

Some littles remarks :)

There is a different behavior between the horizontal and the vertical controller widget when
the Channel input is higher than the Max value.

The SpinBox value is saved in the csd, but the displayed value is its Minimum value.

About the "Green Led" for modified file:
 ("Save changes automatically on run" is activated)
 This Led is ON when loading a file and remains ON even if i run the file.
 Led is OFF when i save the file (normal).
 If i modify the GUI configuration, the Led turns ON (normal) but when i run the file the Led remains ON.
 I have to save the file for the Led to be be OFF.

Scope widget:
If i am not wrong the scope can display only the a-signal(s) in the out(s) opcode.
But what is the purpose of Channel name?
How to display any other a-signal or k-signal?

When selecting Channel: none, it display Channel: all

Qutecsound rev 929 on Ubuntu 10.04

Best,
René

Screenshot-Widgets.png (9K) Download Attachment
Controller_Widget.csd (7K) Download Attachment

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Controller widget

Hi Rene,

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Rene Djack <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Andrès,

Some littles remarks :)

Good!

There is a different behavior between the horizontal and the vertical controller widget when
the Channel input is higher than the Max value.

Fixed.

The SpinBox value is saved in the csd, but the displayed value is its Minimum value.

I can't reproduce this. Can you provide a csd and explain further?

About the "Green Led" for modified file:
 ("Save changes automatically on run" is activated)
 This Led is ON when loading a file and remains ON even if i run the file.
 Led is OFF when i save the file (normal).
 If i modify the GUI configuration, the Led turns ON (normal) but when i run the file the Led remains ON.
 I have to save the file for the Led to be be OFF.

Yes this is a long standing bug... I'll put it on the list as it requires deeper attention.

Scope widget:
If i am not wrong the scope can display only the a-signal(s) in the out(s) opcode.
But what is the purpose of Channel name?
How to display any other a-signal or k-signal?

The channel name currently serves no purpose... It's there because all widgets have a channel... But the idea is that you may be able to something with it in the future (like hide it by sending it a message or something like that... I haven't really thought about it...

When selecting Channel: none, it display Channel: all

 Fixed.

Rene, Now that presets are available, can you try using them for the Pipe Synth, to give me some feedback on them to have the presets in the new release?

Qutecsound rev 929 on Ubuntu 10.04

Wow! I want to see what it looks like =)

Best,
René

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Controller widget

menno
Hi Rene,

i am running Ubuntu10.04 too but seem to be unable to get QuteCsound from svn running. Can you tell me what you did to get it up and running? Qmake fails here to do tyhe job and i do not know how to pass that problem...
ATM i use QC0,50 that Felipe Sateler created for the debain testing repo ( a.deb).

Menno

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Controller widget

Hi Menno,

There were some issues with the build system some time ago, which should be fixed. You may need to do a fresh checkout and things should build easily again.

You need to type:

qmake qcs.pro

make

or open the qcs.pro file in QtCreator.

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 11:48 AM, menno <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Rene,

i am running Ubuntu10.04 too but seem to be unable to get QuteCsound from
svn running. Can you tell me what you did to get it up and running? Qmake
fails here to do tyhe job and i do not know how to pass that problem...
ATM i use QC0,50 that Felipe Sateler created for the debain testing repo (
a.deb).

Menno

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Controller widget

Rene Djack
Hi Menno,

Sorry for delay, i was out for a while, it is Sunday :)
Hopefully Andrés reply to you.

To compile QuteCsound for csound float i have done on a terminal in the qutecsound directory:
qmake qcs.pro CONFIG+=build32
make

and it works. (Thanks Andrés !)

But i also compile csound, so before compiling QuteCsound i already have some libraries in my system:
libjack-dev; libsndfile1-dev; libasound2-dev; libfltk1.1-dev; liblo-dev; libpng12-dev; libfftw3-dev; libqt4-dev; libxext-dev; pthread

If i am not wrong QuteCsound uses libsndfile1-dev; libqt4-dev and pthread.

Best,
René

2010/5/30 Andres Cabrera <[hidden email]>
Hi,

[...]

Hi Andrés,

Thanks for your reply :)

<<The SpinBox value is saved in the csd, but the displayed value is its Minimum value >>
Really not easy to understand what i wrote !!
I have included the csd.
When i open the file in QuteCsound, the BMP value show 3. (see picture)
i open the SpinBox properties, i click on ok and just after the SpinBox display 120.

I have checked the csd file with a text editor, the correct value 120 is written in it:
  <objectName>BMP</objectName>
  <minimum>3</minimum>
  <value>120</value>

<<Qutecsound rev 929 on Ubuntu 10.04>>
Sorry it is rev 629 and not 929, i not doing a new svn branch !
it is totally out of my competence :) :) :)

Tomorrow i will test the presets with the Pipe Synth.
Cheers,

Riley_InC_Qute.csd (233K) Download Attachment
Screenshot.jpg (285K) Download Attachment

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Controller widget

menno
Hi Andres, Rene,

thanks for your quick response for a Sunday :)
i have recently build Csound double precision myself from cvs and Csound appears to be in /usr/local/bin in my system. So Qute cannot find it.

my output:

menno@ubuntu:~/qutecsound/trunk/qutecsound$ qmake qcs.pro
Project MESSAGE:
Project MESSAGE: Building QuteCsound for Unix-based system.
Project MESSAGE:
Project MESSAGE: Building QuteCsound for the single precision version of Csound.
Project MESSAGE: Building release version.
Project MESSAGE:
Project MESSAGE: CONFIG ...
Project MESSAGE: + uic
Project MESSAGE: + resources
Project MESSAGE: + qt
Project MESSAGE: + incremental
Project MESSAGE: + link_prl
Project MESSAGE: + exceptions
Project MESSAGE: + no_mocdepend
Project MESSAGE: + qt_no_framework
Project MESSAGE: + build32
Project MESSAGE: + thread
Project MESSAGE: + release
Project MESSAGE: + warn_on
Project MESSAGE:
Project MESSAGE: QuteCsound build directory is /home/menno/qutecsound/trunk/qutecsound
Project MESSAGE: QuteCsound intermediate file directory is /home/menno/qutecsound/trunk/qutecsound/build/floats/release
Project MESSAGE: QuteCsound bin directory is /home/menno/qutecsound/trunk/qutecsound/bin
Project MESSAGE:
Project MESSAGE: Csound include directory not specified.
Project MESSAGE: ... searching in /usr/local/include/csound
Project MESSAGE: CSOUND_INCLUDE_DIR set to /usr/local/include/csound
Project MESSAGE:
Project MESSAGE: Csound library directory not specified.
Project MESSAGE: ... searching in /usr/local/lib
Project MESSAGE: ... searching in /usr/lib
Project ERROR: A valid Csound library directory was not found.

i imagine i use the command:
qmake qcs.pro CONFIG+=build64

for double precision but how can i point it to Csound in /usr/local/bin?

Menno

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Controller widget

Hi Menno,

You must check whether you have the csound headers in a place where QuteCsound can find them. The csound application which is found in /usr/local/bin, is not required for QuteCsound. QuteCsound will need the csound headers (like csound.h) and the csound library (libcsound.so).

I also have my headers in /usr/local/include since I also build csound myself, so I wonder why qmake is not finding files on your system...

Have you run the install.py script from the csound sources?

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 6:19 PM, menno <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Rene Djack <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andrés,

<<The SpinBox value is saved in the csd, but the displayed value is its Minimum value >>
Really not easy to understand what i wrote !!
I have included the csd.
When i open the file in QuteCsound, the BMP value show 3. (see picture)
i open the SpinBox properties, i click on ok and just after the SpinBox display 120.

I have checked the csd file with a text editor, the correct value 120 is written in it:
  <objectName>BMP</objectName>
  <minimum>3</minimum>
  <value>120</value>

Fixed now.

<<Qutecsound rev 929 on Ubuntu 10.04>>
Sorry it is rev 629 and not 929, i not doing a new svn branch !
it is totally out of my competence :) :) :)

Oh! I was going to ask you to lend me your crystal ball =)

Tomorrow i will test the presets with the Pipe Synth.

Great!

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Controller widget

Rene Djack
Hi Andrés,

Just starting Presets test,

Enclosed is the Pipe_Synth.csd with only preset0 "Banjo".
Preset is working for slider, check box and knob and synth sounds good,
but the Display widgets don't reflect the new slider value when i call the preset.

Pipe_Synth.csd.tar.bz2 (21K) Download Attachment

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Controller widget

Rene Djack
Hi Andrés,

Is there a way to display the preset name in the GUI ?

Cheers,
rené

2010/5/31 Rene Djack <[hidden email]>
[...]

I've made a change which may make you have to redo a few things, bit which I think is the proper way to fix the issue you report.
I had unified labels and displays into a single widget called BSBLabel in the new format. When implementing presets, I decided not to save the values from labels as they are frequently long, and since they don't usually change. But as you found out, this poses a problem with display widgets, which should update from presets.
So what I've done is allow a new widget type in the new format called BSBDisplay. It behaves exactly like BSBLabel, but its values are saved in presets. So whenever you want to have a text widget save its value, you need to use a BSBDisplay instead of a BSBlabel. The problem for you right now (which won't be an issue for the released version), is that all display widgets have been saved as BSBLabel widgets, so their values will not be saved in presets. To have them save, you would need to recreate them, or modify the text file and change type of widget to BSBDisplay for those tests you need to save values. I hope this is not too much of an inconvenience, but thanks for spotting it before it became a big problem for a large number of people...

On the bright side, I've added two reserved channels called "_GetPresetName" and "_GetPresetNumber", which receive the name and number from presets that have been set. Have a look at the new Reserved channels example.

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Rene Djack <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

All presets are now in Pipe_Synth.csd file, tested ok :)
Tomorrow i will use the new reserved channels to call / save a preset from GUI.

A note a funny thing:

1) I close QuteCsound while the Widgets panel is open
2) I restart QuteCsound, the Widgets panel appears
3) I minimize QuteCsound (Alt F9) and i have only the Widgets panel on my screen (see picture)
The Widgets panel should disappear also,
on the other side it is nice like that, it looks like a standalone synth.

Also:
In the scope widget the parameter dec is showed on the widget, but it is not in the Scope Properties panel,
and Zoom X change the value of dec.

Qutecsound rev 632 on Ubuntu 10.04

Cheers,
René

Hi,

QuteCsound.jpg (93K) Download Attachment

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Controller widget

Hi Rene,

Not sure why it happens, but as long as its good, I'm happy...

Thanks for the note on dec. I'll remove it as it is confusing an unnecessary now.

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Rene Djack <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Andés,

On Presets:
I don't know if this can cause problem (i have not seen any) but i have noted the following:

I have a preset nb 10 with name "Synth1"

Looking at the csd file with text editor:

<preset name="Synth1" number="10" >
<value id=......
<value id="{4868e68a-6bc0-4401-b7d3-978bdfba9fae}" mode="4" >Synth1</value>

When i made an other preset nb 20 similar to preset 10, i recall preset 10, change some sliders
and save the new preset as nb 20 with name "Synth2"

Looking at the csd file with text editor:

<preset name="Synth2" number="20" >
<value id=....
<value id="{4868e68a-6bc0-4401-b7d3-978bdfba9fae}" mode="4" >Synth1</value>  **** not Synth2 ?

Cheers,
René

2010/6/1 Andres Cabrera <[hidden email]>
[...]

All lines like:
<value id="{4868e68a-6bc0-4401-b7d3-978bdfba9fae}" mode="4" >Synth1</value>
Refer to individual widgets. If you look for "{4868e68a-6bc0-4401-b7d3-978bdfba9fae}" in the widgets xml text, you should find a widget with that id, which should be a text widget containing that text...

But I just realized what you mean... That the widget has channel _GetPresetName and it displays the name of the previous preset... I think that is unavoidable, but in practice it won't matter as whenever a preset is loaded, after all widgets have been set to their values, the name and number of the preset is sent to the _GetPresetName and _GetPresetNumber channels, so you will always see the correct name.