Quantcast

[Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt on Ubuntu Studio 14.03.02

[Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt on Ubuntu Studio 14.03.02

Marcelo Carneiro de Lima
Hi. My name is Marcelo, I am a professor of electroacoustic music composition at Rio de Janeiro State Federal University. I have been using csound for quite a while now, always on Windows and Mac. Now I am trying Ubuntu, but having a lot of problems to install Csoundqt. I can run it calling it on the Terminal, but it never saves my configurations, and always crashes for nothing. I have installed csound 6.05, and Csoundqt 0.8.3 packages, but cannot run properly neither of them.
Can you give me a step-by-step on how to properly build Csoundqt?
Thank you.

Marcelo Carneiro
(21) 9382-3621
(21) 3497-0193
Skype: Carneiro3729

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt on Ubuntu Studio 14.03.02

Dominik TM

current version of CsoundQt is 0.9.1
easiest approach might be to build from source:
1) install git, build-essential and qmake
2) open terminal and execute "git clone
https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt.git"
this gets latest sources.
3) cd CsoundQt
4) qmake qcs.pro
5) make
6) make install
this installs CsoundQt locally only for your user

I am using Debian 8 and am not too familiar with Ubuntu. Above steps
should work though.
good luck,
dSP

slightly off-topic:
in case you are new to using Linux for audio work, I warmly recommend
kxstudio packages for well maintained audio related general purpose
packages.

Am 2016-02-15 20:35, schrieb Marcelo Carneiro de Lima:

> Hi. My name is Marcelo, I am a professor of electroacoustic music
> composition at Rio de Janeiro State Federal University. I have been
> using
> csound for quite a while now, always on Windows and Mac. Now I am
> trying
> Ubuntu, but having a lot of problems to install Csoundqt. I can run it
> calling it on the Terminal, but it never saves my configurations, and
> always crashes for nothing. I have installed csound 6.05, and Csoundqt
> 0.8.3 packages, but cannot run properly neither of them.
> Can you give me a step-by-step on how to properly build Csoundqt?
> Thank you.

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt on Ubuntu Studio 14.03.02

Probably you got those versions with apt-get from some repositories,

I think CsoundQt 0.8.3 is built against some older version of Csound so there might be conflicts.

There is a good wiki page for building for ubuntu:

https://github.com/csound/csound/wiki/CsoundQt-with-Csound6-on-Debian-Ubuntu:-a-build-guide

Building first time might take some struggling - mostly if something needed for building is missing. Try to read it out from the error messages and install the missing components.

And of course, ask here if you have any problems that you cannot solve.

Take care!

tarmo

On Monday 15 February 2016 17:35:51 Marcelo Carneiro de Lima wrote:

> Hi. My name is Marcelo, I am a professor of electroacoustic music

> composition at Rio de Janeiro State Federal University. I have been using

> csound for quite a while now, always on Windows and Mac. Now I am trying

> Ubuntu, but having a lot of problems to install Csoundqt. I can run it

> calling it on the Terminal, but it never saves my configurations, and

> always crashes for nothing. I have installed csound 6.05, and Csoundqt

> 0.8.3 packages, but cannot run properly neither of them.

> Can you give me a step-by-step on how to properly build Csoundqt?

> Thank you.

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt on Ubuntu Studio 14.03.02

Marcelo Carneiro de Lima
Thank you Dominic and Tarmo. I'll try your suggestions. I will write back with news about my progress.
Bests
Marcelo

Probably you got those versions with apt-get from some repositories,

I think CsoundQt 0.8.3 is built against some older version of Csound so there might be conflicts.

There is a good wiki page for building for ubuntu:

https://github.com/csound/csound/wiki/CsoundQt-with-Csound6-on-Debian-Ubuntu:-a-build-guide

Building first time might take some struggling - mostly if something needed for building is missing. Try to read it out from the error messages and install the missing components.

And of course, ask here if you have any problems that you cannot solve.

Take care!

tarmo

On Monday 15 February 2016 17:35:51 Marcelo Carneiro de Lima wrote:

> Hi. My name is Marcelo, I am a professor of electroacoustic music

> composition at Rio de Janeiro State Federal University. I have been using

> csound for quite a while now, always on Windows and Mac. Now I am trying

> Ubuntu, but having a lot of problems to install Csoundqt. I can run it

> calling it on the Terminal, but it never saves my configurations, and

> always crashes for nothing. I have installed csound 6.05, and Csoundqt

> 0.8.3 packages, but cannot run properly neither of them.

> Can you give me a step-by-step on how to properly build Csoundqt?

> Thank you.

Marcelo Carneiro
(21) 9382-3621
(21) 3497-0193
Skype: Carneiro3729

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt on Ubuntu Studio 14.03.02

Marcelo Carneiro de Lima
Hi. I think I've made a progress here thanks to your instructions. I thinks I've built it,but I am no quite finished yet: I am sending you two screenshots to exemplify how things are at moment, and the  with the message that is now poping up in my window everytime I trie to run CsoundQT. Translating from Portuguese to English it says aproximatelly that "There was a failure in excuting the son process Blablabla (File or directory was not found)".
Thank you for everything. I new to Linux, and I am still quite a bit lost in here.
Bests
Marcelo

Thank you Dominic and Tarmo. I'll try your suggestions. I will write back with news about my progress.
Bests
Marcelo

Probably you got those versions with apt-get from some repositories,

I think CsoundQt 0.8.3 is built against some older version of Csound so there might be conflicts.

There is a good wiki page for building for ubuntu:

https://github.com/csound/csound/wiki/CsoundQt-with-Csound6-on-Debian-Ubuntu:-a-build-guide

Building first time might take some struggling - mostly if something needed for building is missing. Try to read it out from the error messages and install the missing components.

And of course, ask here if you have any problems that you cannot solve.

Take care!

tarmo

On Monday 15 February 2016 17:35:51 Marcelo Carneiro de Lima wrote:

> Hi. My name is Marcelo, I am a professor of electroacoustic music

> composition at Rio de Janeiro State Federal University. I have been using

> csound for quite a while now, always on Windows and Mac. Now I am trying

> Ubuntu, but having a lot of problems to install Csoundqt. I can run it

> calling it on the Terminal, but it never saves my configurations, and

> always crashes for nothing. I have installed csound 6.05, and Csoundqt

> 0.8.3 packages, but cannot run properly neither of them.

> Can you give me a step-by-step on how to properly build Csoundqt?

> Thank you.

Marcelo Carneiro
(21) 9382-3621
(21) 3497-0193
Skype: Carneiro3729

--
Marcelo Carneiro
(21) 9382-3621

screenshot CsoundQT_Ubuntu_Studio_1.png (1M) Download Attachment
Screenshot CsoundQT_Ubuntu_Studio_2.png (1M) Download Attachment

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt on Ubuntu Studio 14.03.02

Dominik TM

did you run "make install" after "make" and were there any errors? I
think Tarmo only anounced this option only today and it is not yet
reflected in the wiki.

Do you have a folder bin/ in your home directory? there should be an
executable file called CsoundQt-d-cs6 and a symlink called csoundqt.

If this is not the case go to the folder from where you executed make.
After running make there should be one executable file called
CsoundQt-d-cs6 in a folder named bin/
1) Check whether you have this file
2) run it from Terminal (type "./CsoundQt-d-cs6" from whithin the bin/
folder)
3) if this does not start CsoundQt the compilation step didn't work
    if it does you can copy it to a folder named bin in your home
directory and make a symlink to the newly copied file called csoundqt as
a quick hack.

...just some first aid...

Am 2016-02-16 00:55, schrieb Marcelo Carneiro de Lima:

> Hi. I think I've made a progress here thanks to your instructions. I
> thinks
> I've built it,but I am no quite finished yet: I am sending you two
> screenshots to exemplify how things are at moment, and the  with the
> message that is now poping up in my window everytime I trie to run
> CsoundQT. Translating from Portuguese to English it says aproximatelly
> that
> "There was a failure in excuting the son process Blablabla (File or
> directory was not found)".
> Thank you for everything. I new to Linux, and I am still quite a bit
> lost
> in here.
> Bests
> Marcelo

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt on Ubuntu Studio 14.03.02

Marcelo Carneiro de Lima
Dear Dominic, thanks a lot. I apparently can run CsoundQt fromCsoundQt-d-cs6. I've made a copy of it on my desktop, which I know it is not the best deal, but that's what I've got by now. If you find another way for me to run it. (an icon on my apps folder, for instance), please let me know.
Thank you very much again.
bests
Marcelo

did you run "make install" after "make" and were there any errors? I
think Tarmo only anounced this option only today and it is not yet
reflected in the wiki.

Do you have a folder bin/ in your home directory? there should be an
executable file called CsoundQt-d-cs6 and a symlink called csoundqt.

If this is not the case go to the folder from where you executed make.
After running make there should be one executable file called
CsoundQt-d-cs6 in a folder named bin/
1) Check whether you have this file
2) run it from Terminal (type "./CsoundQt-d-cs6" from whithin the bin/
folder)
3) if this does not start CsoundQt the compilation step didn't work
    if it does you can copy it to a folder named bin in your home
directory and make a symlink to the newly copied file called csoundqt as
a quick hack.

...just some first aid...

Am 2016-02-16 00:55, schrieb Marcelo Carneiro de Lima:
> Hi. I think I've made a progress here thanks to your instructions. I
> thinks
> I've built it,but I am no quite finished yet: I am sending you two
> screenshots to exemplify how things are at moment, and the  with the
> message that is now poping up in my window everytime I trie to run
> CsoundQT. Translating from Portuguese to English it says aproximatelly
> that
> "There was a failure in excuting the son process Blablabla (File or
> directory was not found)".
> Thank you for everything. I new to Linux, and I am still quite a bit
> lost
> in here.
> Bests
> Marcelo

Marcelo Carneiro
(21) 9382-3621
(21) 3497-0193
Skype: Carneiro3729

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt on Ubuntu Studio 14.03.02

Good to hear!

I am very interested to find out, why make install did not work, maybe there is something to improve.

Some questions:

How did you build CsoundQt - from command line (typing qmkare qcs.pro etc ) or using QtCreator?

Please look for Makefile created by qmake.

If used QtCreator, it generates the Makefiles in some secret place, you could press "Build->Run qmake" to force it to do it in the build directory. If you used shadow build (ie building outside of sources directory), it is a separate folder something like build-Qcs-Qt5-Release or something.

If you find the Makefile, check, if the creation time is correct (i.e the time when you ran qmake), open it and have a look if you see similar lines in the end of the file:

-----

-$(INSTALL_FILE) /home/tarmo/src/qutecsound/qutecsound-code/images/qtcs.svg $(INSTALL_ROOT)/home/tarmo/.local/share/icons/

uninstall_icon: FORCE

-$(DEL_FILE) -r $(INSTALL_ROOT)/home/tarmo/.local/share/icons/qtcs.svg

-$(DEL_DIR) $(INSTALL_ROOT)/home/tarmo/.local/share/icons/

install_mimetypes: first FORCE

@test -d $(INSTALL_ROOT)/home/tarmo/src/qutecsound/qutecsound-code || mkdir -p $(INSTALL_ROOT)/home/tarmo/src/qutecsound/qutecsound-code

cd /home/tarmo/src/qutecsound/qutecsound-code/mime-types/; ./add_csound_mimetypes.sh

install: install_target install_desktop install_icon install_mimetypes FORCE

uninstall: uninstall_target uninstall_desktop uninstall_icon FORCE

----

If so, try to run '$make install' in the folder of Makefile once again.

Can be, that UbuntuStudio uses another Desktop Manager (like Xfcse, perhaps) that places its Desktop files etc into different places.

Anyway, we plan to make the installing system wide, so that all the files get installed to /usr/ folder, then it should probably work universally.

Please let know if you figure out the reason!

tarmo

On Thursday 18 February 2016 20:40:24 Marcelo Carneiro de Lima wrote:

> Dear Dominic, thanks a lot. I apparently can run CsoundQt

> fromCsoundQt-d-cs6. I've made a copy of it on my desktop, which I know it

> is not the best deal, but that's what I've got by now. If you find another

> way for me to run it. (an icon on my apps folder, for instance), please let

> me know.

> Thank you very much again.

> bests

> Marcelo

> > did you run "make install" after "make" and were there any errors? I

> > think Tarmo only anounced this option only today and it is not yet

> > reflected in the wiki.

> > Do you have a folder bin/ in your home directory? there should be an

> > executable file called CsoundQt-d-cs6 and a symlink called csoundqt.

> > If this is not the case go to the folder from where you executed make.

> > After running make there should be one executable file called

> > CsoundQt-d-cs6 in a folder named bin/

> > 1) Check whether you have this file

> > 2) run it from Terminal (type "./CsoundQt-d-cs6" from whithin the bin/

> > folder)

> > 3) if this does not start CsoundQt the compilation step didn't work

> > if it does you can copy it to a folder named bin in your home

> > directory and make a symlink to the newly copied file called csoundqt as

> > a quick hack.

> > ...just some first aid...

> > Am 2016-02-16 00:55, schrieb Marcelo Carneiro de Lima:

> > > Hi. I think I've made a progress here thanks to your instructions. I

> > > thinks

> > > I've built it,but I am no quite finished yet: I am sending you two

> > > screenshots to exemplify how things are at moment, and the with the

> > > message that is now poping up in my window everytime I trie to run

> > > CsoundQT. Translating from Portuguese to English it says aproximatelly

> > > that

> > > "There was a failure in excuting the son process Blablabla (File or

> > > directory was not found)".

> > > Thank you for everything. I new to Linux, and I am still quite a bit

> > > lost

> > > in here.

> > > Bests

> > > Marcelo

> > ---- Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application

> > Performance APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just

> > $35/Month

> > Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now

> > Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!

> > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=272487151&iu=/4140

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt on Ubuntu Studio 14.03.02

Marcelo Carneiro de Lima
Ok Tarmo, thanks for everything. I will check upon that file tomorrow and give you my feedback. I did install it with qmake, qcs.pro. I checked for CsoundQt-d-cs6 and lauched it from there. Then I noticed that it is possible to open CsoundQt icon's Preference and write the path to CsoundQt-d-cs6 at the Launcher window. I put a copy of CsoundQt icon on my  desktop panel, and it is quite good. Then I've noticed that the csound's manual was not loading. I looked for it in my system, but it was not in it. So I downloaded the HTML version, put it inside the src folder, and insert it's path at CsoundQt's configure panel.
Now it loads the Csound's manual beautifully!( It is funny how long CsoundQt takes to launch now that it is loading the Csound's Manual. Just a few more seconds than before, but still curious).
Once again, Thank you all very much.
I will certainly bore you both with some of my "csound own teetering technical skills(?)" problems :)

Bests
Marcelo