[Qutecsound-users] Error opening Settings

12

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Error opening Settings

I built Csound with stk, rebuilt CsoundQt and I cannot reproduce the problem... I can open and reopen Settings dialog without problem and STK opcodes work.

Maybe it is a case that shows that a fresh build should work and if there are any old libstkops.so around, it causes the crash? Joachim, did you do

sudo make uninstall

before installing Csound again?

I am on openSuse Leap 64 bit, Csound 6.07 built today from develop branch, CsoundQt 0.9.2.1 built from develop branch, Qt 5.5.1

What I did was:

- installed libstk4 and libstk-devel with package manager (stk version 4.5.0 )

- used cmake-gui to enable stk opcodes for Csound (BUILD_STK_OPCODES), generated makefiles

- in Csound source dir $make clean && make && sudo make install

- rebuilt CsoundQt

everything was fine...

tarmo

On Tuesday 03 May 2016 18:56:43 Dave Seidel wrote:

> My money is on some sort memory or resource leak. When this happens,

> CsoundQt is able to invoke Csound at least once, to fetch input/output

> devices. It's on (I think) the second construction of a Csound instance

> that the fault occurs. So perhaps when the STK opcodes load, they do

> something that can only happen once without some sort of non-obvious

> cleanup.

> - Dave

> On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Tarmo Johannes <

> [hidden email]> wrote:

> > Hi,

> > I have never used Stk opcodes. tried to build but failed at the first

> > attempt.

> > I will try to get it built and see if I can understand the reason of the

> > crashes.

> > tarmo

> > On Tuesday 03 May 2016 18:35:58 joachim heintz wrote:

> > > just to note i had the same issue after a fresh install of csound

> > > (having done apt-get build-dep csound before).

> > > your receipe helped, but it is a really nasty issue. is there any way

> > > to get out of it meanwhile? actually, building stk opcodes should be

> > > possible for csoundqt users ...

> > > best -

> > > joachim

> > [hidden email]>

> > and

> > resolves

> > trial!

> > Applications

> > -->

> > > -- Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications

> > > Manager Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into

> > > multiple tiers of your business applications. It resolves application

> > > problems quickly and reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!

> > > https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z

> > ---- Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications

> > Manager

> > Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple

> > tiers of

> > your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and

> > reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!

> > https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Error opening Settings

Dave Seidel-2

I'm away for a couple of days, but will try this when I get home this weekend.

On May 4, 2016 8:32 AM, "Tarmo Johannes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

> [...]

> > trial!

> > Applications

> > -->

> > > -- Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications

> > > Manager Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into

> > > multiple tiers of your business applications. It resolves application

> > > problems quickly and reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!

> > > https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z

> > ---- Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications

> > Manager

> > Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple

> > tiers of

> > your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and

> > reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!

> > https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Error opening Settings

I think the problem is stale builds of stk. I think I built previously and this remained. Perhaps this is the cause...

Perhaps just rebuilding the stk opcodes solves the problem.

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 5:31 AM, Tarmo Johannes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

> [...]

> > trial!

> > Applications

> > -->

> > > -- Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications

> > > Manager Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into

> > > multiple tiers of your business applications. It resolves application

> > > problems quickly and reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!

> > > https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z

> > ---- Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications

> > Manager

> > Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple

> > tiers of

> > your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and

> > reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!

> > https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Error opening Settings

joachim-3
tarmo, thanks for looking into this!

sudo make uninstall does not work for me.  do you mean a cmake command?

i tried
   make clean

before rebuilding csound.  i got the same issue (hanging csoundqt).

looks like i have libstk 4.4.4 installed (most probably i have installed
implicitely via
    apt-get build-dep csound
as i never used stk on its own).

i am a bit sceptical to think that it is a particular issue on my debian
machine, as the issue occurred on two other linuxes, i think.

i can help the next day to find out the reason.  just let me know what i
should try.

best -
        joachim

On 05/05/16 07:03, Andres Cabrera wrote:

> [...]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>

>      > >
>
>      > >
>     --------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>      > > ---- Find and fix application performance issues faster with
>     Applications
>
>      > > Manager
>
>      > > Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into
>     multiple
>
>      > > tiers of
>
>      > > your business applications. It resolves application problems
>     quickly and
>
>      > > reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!
>
>      > > https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z
>
>      > > _______________________________________________
>
>      > > Qutecsound-users mailing list
>
>      > > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Error opening Settings

Mitch Kaufman
On the Csnd list Michael Goggins suggested an environment variable be set. I haven't tried it yet:

"That may be a good clue. Make sure that you have the rawwaves files
and that the RAWWAVE_PATH environment variable is set to indicate the
directory containing those files. This could very definitely cause the
problem.

As Anders says, you can just move the stkops.so out of the directory
to test this theory."

Regards,
Mitch

> [...]
>>    with

>>    performance

>>    problems quickly

>>    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>    performance

>>    your free

>>    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>    insights into

>>    application

>>    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>    Applications

>>    insights into

>>    application

>>    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>    Applications

>>    multiple

>>    quickly and

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Error opening Settings

Well, this worked for me. The latest STK available to me via apt-get is 4.4.4, so I downloaded and built/installed from the 4.5.1 sources, then rebuild csound (develop) and then CoundQt (develop). At that point, I still had the problem. But when I created RAWWAVE_PATH and pointed it at the proper location, the problem went away.

- Dave

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 2:51 PM, Mitch Kaufman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>    with

>>    performance

>>    problems quickly

>>    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>    performance

>>    your free

>>    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>    insights into

>>    application

>>    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>    Applications

>>    insights into

>>    application

>>    Applications

>>    multiple

>>    quickly and

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Error opening Settings

...and now it is no longer working, at least not when run from the XFCE menu, even when RAWWAVE_PATH is in the global environment. I don't have time now to investigate further, but will look at it again this weekend. In the final analysis, I don't use STK, so at least I have a workaround.

- Dave