[Qutecsound-users] New parameter mode

I've implemented a new parameter mode in git. I'd like to hear some feedback and thoughts about how it's working and suggestions for improvements.

The way it works:
 - Enter parameter mode (either by autocompleting an opcode, using the menu action or the keyboard shortcut)
 - Move between parameters using the tab and shift-tab keys
 - Enter the parameter selection menu by pressing the down key or pressing the button (you will see the button if you try this...) when the button is visible.
 - Exit the parameter mode with the escape key.

Currently only local variables (inside the instrument or UDO) are displayed. I need to add support for global variables.

Cheers,
Andres

Re: [Qutecsound-users] New parameter mode

joachim-3
hi andrés -

thanks for this nice feature! i think it can be very useful to gain more
overview about the parameter and its names.

best -

        joachim

Am 07.09.2013 21:51, schrieb Andres Cabrera:

> Hi,
>
> I've implemented a new parameter mode in git. I'd like to hear some
> feedback and thoughts about how it's working and suggestions for
> improvements.
>
> The way it works:
>   - Enter parameter mode (either by autocompleting an opcode, using the
> menu action or the keyboard shortcut)
>   - Move between parameters using the tab and shift-tab keys
>   - Enter the parameter selection menu by pressing the down key or
> pressing the button (you will see the button if you try this...) when
> the button is visible.
>   - Exit the parameter mode with the escape key.
>
> Currently only local variables (inside the instrument or UDO) are
> displayed. I need to add support for global variables.
>
> Cheers,
> Andres

> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=58041391&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: [Qutecsound-users] New parameter mode

joachim-3
hi again -

i have some problems to disable the parameter mode.
i cannot see in Edit > Toggle Parameter Mode whether the mode is on or off.
and it looks like when using auto-completion, the parameter mode is
always on.
am i missing anything?
best -
        joachim

Am 07.09.2013 22:40, schrieb joachim heintz:

> hi andrés -
>
> thanks for this nice feature! i think it can be very useful to gain more
> overview about the parameter and its names.
>
> best -
>
> joachim
>

> Am 07.09.2013 21:51, schrieb Andres Cabrera:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've implemented a new parameter mode in git. I'd like to hear some
>> feedback and thoughts about how it's working and suggestions for
>> improvements.
>>
>> The way it works:
>>    - Enter parameter mode (either by autocompleting an opcode, using the
>> menu action or the keyboard shortcut)
>>    - Move between parameters using the tab and shift-tab keys
>>    - Enter the parameter selection menu by pressing the down key or
>> pressing the button (you will see the button if you try this...) when
>> the button is visible.
>>    - Exit the parameter mode with the escape key.
>>
>> Currently only local variables (inside the instrument or UDO) are
>> displayed. I need to add support for global variables.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Andres

>> Learn the latest--Visual Studio 2012, SharePoint 2013, SQL 2012, more!
>> Discover the easy way to master current and previous Microsoft technologies
>> and advance your career. Get an incredible 1,500+ hours of step-by-step
>> tutorial videos with LearnDevNow. Subscribe today and save!
>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=58041391&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: [Qutecsound-users] New parameter mode

Hi Joachim,

The way to know if the parameter mode is on is by the size of the cursor. In parameter mode the cursor is thick. If in doubt, pressing escape will make you leave parameter mode.
Parameter mode is auto enabled when autocompleting. I think this is very useful, do you think I should make it optional?

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 5:29 AM, joachim heintz <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi again -

i have some problems to disable the parameter mode.
i cannot see in Edit > Toggle Parameter Mode whether the mode is on or off.
and it looks like when using auto-completion, the parameter mode is
always on.
am i missing anything?
best -
        joachim

Am 07.09.2013 22:40, schrieb joachim heintz:
> hi andrés -
>
> thanks for this nice feature! i think it can be very useful to gain more
> overview about the parameter and its names.
>
> best -
>
>       joachim
>

> Am 07.09.2013 21:51, schrieb Andres Cabrera:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've implemented a new parameter mode in git. I'd like to hear some
>> feedback and thoughts about how it's working and suggestions for
>> improvements.
>>
>> The way it works:
>>    - Enter parameter mode (either by autocompleting an opcode, using the
>> menu action or the keyboard shortcut)
>>    - Move between parameters using the tab and shift-tab keys
>>    - Enter the parameter selection menu by pressing the down key or
>> pressing the button (you will see the button if you try this...) when
>> the button is visible.
>>    - Exit the parameter mode with the escape key.
>>
>> Currently only local variables (inside the instrument or UDO) are
>> displayed. I need to add support for global variables.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Andres

>> Learn the latest--Visual Studio 2012, SharePoint 2013, SQL 2012, more!
>> Discover the easy way to master current and previous Microsoft technologies
>> and advance your career. Get an incredible 1,500+ hours of step-by-step
>> tutorial videos with LearnDevNow. Subscribe today and save!
>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=58041391&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: [Qutecsound-users] New parameter mode

joachim-3
hi andrés -

yes, i'd like to use the auto completion either with parameter mode, or
without. if it's not optional, i have to get rid of the button each time
i have any completion. i personally don't like this.

i thought this was the rationale behind switching the parameter mode on
or off; i bit similar to seeing the line numbers or the split view. my
vote for this!

best -

        joachim

Am 09.09.2013 20:39, schrieb Andres Cabrera:

> [...]
>      >
>      > Learn the latest--Visual Studio 2012, SharePoint 2013, SQL 2012,
>     more!
>      > Discover the easy way to master current and previous Microsoft
>     technologies
>      > and advance your career. Get an incredible 1,500+ hours of
>     step-by-step
>      > tutorial videos with LearnDevNow. Subscribe today and save!
>      >
>     http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=58041391&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
>      > Qutecsound-users mailing list
>      > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/qutecsound-users
>      >

> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=58041391&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: [Qutecsound-users] New parameter mode

OK, there is now an option in the preferences.

Please let me know your thoughts on how parameter mode works for you in practice.

Cheers,
Andres

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM, joachim heintz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>      >
>      > Learn the latest--Visual Studio 2012, SharePoint 2013, SQL 2012,
>     more!
>      > Discover the easy way to master current and previous Microsoft
>     technologies
>      > and advance your career. Get an incredible 1,500+ hours of
>     step-by-step
>      > tutorial videos with LearnDevNow. Subscribe today and save!
>      >
>     http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=58041391&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
>      > Qutecsound-users mailing list
>      > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/qutecsound-users
>      >

> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=58041391&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: [Qutecsound-users] New parameter mode

thanks for this! now i can have auto completion with or without
parameter mode.

i played a bit with it, and have two more questions / suggestions:

1) before your change, selecting an item from the autocompletion with
the tab key did only complete the opcode name. selecting with the return
key did complete both, the opcode name and the standard parameters.
now the tab key works like the return key. can we restore the previous
distinction?

2) when i am in parameter mode, after selecting one of the parameter
names, i cannot see how i can leave this without clicking anywhere,
because the small button with the "..." stays. is this possible? it
would be nice, for instance, to go on with the right arrow.

all best -

        joachim

Am 10.09.2013 03:04, schrieb Andres Cabrera:

> [...]
>     step-by-step
>      > tutorial videos with LearnDevNow. Subscribe today and save!
>      >
>     http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=58041391&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > Qutecsound-users mailing list
>      > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/qutecsound-users
>      >

> 1. Consolidate legacy IT systems to a single system of record for IT
> 2. Standardize and globalize service processes across IT
> 3. Implement zero-touch automation to replace manual, redundant tasks
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=51271111&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: [Qutecsound-users] New parameter mode

I've now made it the other way around. I've left tab for full autocompletion and parameter mode and enter for just opcode completion. My thinking is that tab means keep going while enter means I'm done. What do you think?

You can leave parameter mode at any time by pressing the escape key. You can also leave by using the toggle parameter mode action (from menu or key command), and the ... wil disappear if you start typing. However, you will still be in parameter mode, and the ... will reappear when you press tab. Does that work for you?

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 8:36 AM, joachim heintz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>     step-by-step
>      > tutorial videos with LearnDevNow. Subscribe today and save!
>      >
>     http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=58041391&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > Qutecsound-users mailing list
>      > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/qutecsound-users
>      >

> 1. Consolidate legacy IT systems to a single system of record for IT
> 2. Standardize and globalize service processes across IT
> 3. Implement zero-touch automation to replace manual, redundant tasks
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=51271111&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: [Qutecsound-users] New parameter mode

aaah - escape lets me escape ... -- this makes sense and works perfectly.

but as for the tab:
1. i find it more intuitive that tab (= only opcode word completion) is
less than return (= whole syntax completion).
2. are you on a mac? there is no enter key on linux and windows, is it?

best -

        joachim

Am 10.09.2013 20:35, schrieb Andres Cabrera:

> [...]
>      > 2. Standardize and globalize service processes across IT
>      > 3. Implement zero-touch automation to replace manual, redundant tasks
>      >
>     http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=51271111&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > Qutecsound-users mailing list
>      > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/qutecsound-users
>      >

> 1. Consolidate legacy IT systems to a single system of record for IT
> 2. Standardize and globalize service processes across IT
> 3. Implement zero-touch automation to replace manual, redundant tasks
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=51271111&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: [Qutecsound-users] New parameter mode

OK, done, enter now fully completes and tab only opcode.

And I meant the return key (although it is labeled as enter on my Lenovo computer...)

Can you try out the nightly build I have posted here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qutecsound/files/CsoundQt/nightly-osx/

(The ultimate test would be moving or renaming the CsoundLib framework in /Library/Frameworks to see if plugin opcodes like the OSC opcodes still work)... But now that I think about it, you have moved to linux...

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM, joachim heintz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>      > 2. Standardize and globalize service processes across IT
>      > 3. Implement zero-touch automation to replace manual, redundant tasks
>      >
>     http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=51271111&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > Qutecsound-users mailing list
>      > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/qutecsound-users
>      >

> 1. Consolidate legacy IT systems to a single system of record for IT
> 2. Standardize and globalize service processes across IT
> 3. Implement zero-touch automation to replace manual, redundant tasks
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=51271111&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: [Qutecsound-users] New parameter mode

wonderful, thanks. yes, i moved to linux, but i can test it perhaps
anyway, in one of the studios. i'll let you know.
best -

Am 11.09.2013 06:31, schrieb Andres Cabrera:

> [...]
>      > 2. Standardize and globalize service processes across IT
>      > 3. Implement zero-touch automation to replace manual, redundant tasks
>      >
>     http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=51271111&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > Qutecsound-users mailing list
>      > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/qutecsound-users
>      >

> 1. Consolidate legacy IT systems to a single system of record for IT
> 2. Standardize and globalize service processes across IT
> 3. Implement zero-touch automation to replace manual, redundant tasks
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=51271111&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: [Qutecsound-users] New parameter mode

I am now wtih you again, built the new version with parameter mode.

Very nice, definitely helpful! Thanks, Ansrés!

I need to test it more in real working situation.

So far, I can not see i-parameters in the drop-down list?

Ans as, Andrés, you stated, global parameters are implemented yet.

What I actually miss more is a simple word completion - when I start to type gkVeryLongParameterName or $MAXIMUM_VALUE_OF_X- the system suggests and autocompletes the word. Like in most editors.

I promised to write that and hope to get to it one day.

I will report more when I'll have more experience.

tarmo

On Saturday 07 September 2013 12:51:12 Andres Cabrera wrote:

Hi,

I've implemented a new parameter mode in git. I'd like to hear some feedback and thoughts about how it's working and suggestions for improvements.

The way it works:

 - Enter parameter mode (either by autocompleting an opcode, using the menu action or the keyboard shortcut)

 - Move between parameters using the tab and shift-tab keys

 - Enter the parameter selection menu by pressing the down key or pressing the button (you will see the button if you try this...) when the button is visible.

 - Exit the parameter mode with the escape key.

Currently only local variables (inside the instrument or UDO) are displayed. I need to add support for global variables.

Cheers,
Andres

Re: [Qutecsound-users] New parameter mode

hi andrés -

i just tried the nightly build on osx 10.6. there are no audio modules
to select, so it does not work. best -

        joachim