Quantcast

[Qutecsound-users] QuteCsound example

Rene Djack
Hello Andrés,
Here is Pipe_Synth.csd with presets + an image to show how it looks under Ubuntu 10.04.

Cheers,
René

Pipe_Synth.tar.bz2 (156K) Download Attachment

Re: [Qutecsound-users] QuteCsound example

Hi Rene,

That's a fantastic example! Thanks. The only suggestion is to make the boxes for labels always slightly larger than you need them, to accomodate fonts on different systems (I am also on Ubuntu, but maybe because of screen resolution, some text is slightly chopped off...)

I'm wondering, do you have any ideas about how to make it more CPU efficient. On my system I can currently run up to 4 notes without break up (although I haven't tried yet with jack, but I suspect it would be the same...

Thanks again,
Andrés

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Rene Djack <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Andrés,
Here is Pipe_Synth.csd with presets + an image to show how it looks under Ubuntu 10.04.

Cheers,
René

Re: [Qutecsound-users] QuteCsound example

Rene Djack
Hi Andrés,

<<...labels always slightly larger than you need...>>

Ok
Do you want i do it for the example and resend?

<<....how to make it more CPU efficient...>>
Good question,
May be using new opcodes, i will try to do some tests.
I hope other csounders will have a look in it, and give suggestions.

But i am not sure that the solution is only in the csound instruments code itself.
I found the original Synth_Pipe i made with FTLK, it was in 2005.
(I have attached the synth and the preset files)

On FL_Pipe (FLTK GUI):
ksmps = 1    (for a-rate feedback, one sample delay)
I can play 7 notes at the same time (preset 10, Pan)  on my Pentium4 @ 2.4GHz
I think it is good because ksmps = 1 is very CPU hungry.
I don't know the refresh period for FLTK, but it has a small impact on CPU load.

With a global ksmps = 128, a local ksmps = 128 for reverb and a local ksmps = 1 for pipe,
i am sure we can play more than 10 notes.

On Synth_Pipe (QuteCsound GUI):
Impossible to use ksmps = 1 because at this rate the GUI alone is overloading the PC.

On my P4 with a global ksmps = 512, a local ksmps = 128 for reverb and a local ksmps = 1 for pipe
i can play only 2 notes at the same time.
It is the same with alsa, portaudio or jack.
Not really good!

May be it is time to get a quad core PC, but i will have to wait for a csound designed for multi core PC :)

To be continued....

Cheers,
René

FL_Pipe.tar.bz2 (14K) Download Attachment

Re: [Qutecsound-users] QuteCsound example

Hi Rene,

This is really interesting. I was hoping there wasn't so much difference between using QuteCsound and FLTK, but it seems there is. I need to have a look at whether there are things I can improve.

Can you help me with the larger labels? I'd appreciate if you sent me the new file. Thanks!

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Rene Djack <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andrés,

[...]

ok i will do for tomorrow.

Can you send me screenshot(s) to see how the Widgets panel looks on your(s) system(s)?

Cheers,
René

2010/6/3 Andres Cabrera <[hidden email]>
[...]

andy fillebrown
Hi Rene,

Screenshots from Windows XP and Windows 7 are attached ...

Cheers,
~ andy.f

Pipe synth--Win7--100603.png (130K) Download Attachment
Pipe synth--WinXP--100603.png (86K) Download Attachment

Re: [Qutecsound-users] QuteCsound example

Rene Djack
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the pictures.
The controllers in XP are nicer than the ones in Win7 !

If you don't mind i will remove the controller numbers, now they are no more useful.

Cheers,
René

2010/6/3 andy fillebrown <[hidden email]>
Hi Rene,

Screenshots from Windows XP and Windows 7 are attached ...

Cheers,
~ andy.f

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Rene Djack <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ok i will do for tomorrow.
>
> Can you send me screenshot(s) to see how the Widgets panel looks on your(s)
> system(s)?
>
> Cheers,
> René
>

> 2010/6/3 Andres Cabrera <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hi Rene,
>>
>> This is really interesting. I was hoping there wasn't so much difference
>> between using QuteCsound and FLTK, but it seems there is. I need to have a
>> look at whether there are things I can improve.
>>
>> Can you help me with the larger labels? I'd appreciate if you sent me the
>> new file. Thanks!
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Andrés
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Rene Djack <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Andrés,
>>>
>>> <<...labels always slightly larger than you need...>>
>>>
>>> Ok
>>> Do you want i do it for the example and resend?
>>>
>>> <<....how to make it more CPU efficient...>>
>>> Good question,
>>> May be using new opcodes, i will try to do some tests.
>>> I hope other csounders will have a look in it, and give suggestions.
>>>
>>> But i am not sure that the solution is only in the csound instruments
>>> code itself.
>>> I found the original Synth_Pipe i made with FTLK, it was in 2005.
>>> (I have attached the synth and the preset files)
>>>
>>> On FL_Pipe (FLTK GUI):
>>> ksmps = 1    (for a-rate feedback, one sample delay)
>>> I can play 7 notes at the same time (preset 10, Pan)  on my Pentium4 @
>>> 2.4GHz
>>> I think it is good because ksmps = 1 is very CPU hungry.
>>> I don't know the refresh period for FLTK, but it has a small impact on
>>> CPU load.
>>>
>>> With a global ksmps = 128, a local ksmps = 128 for reverb and a local
>>> ksmps = 1 for pipe,
>>> i am sure we can play more than 10 notes.
>>>
>>> On Synth_Pipe (QuteCsound GUI):
>>> Impossible to use ksmps = 1 because at this rate the GUI alone is
>>> overloading the PC.
>>>
>>> On my P4 with a global ksmps = 512, a local ksmps = 128 for reverb and a
>>> local ksmps = 1 for pipe
>>> i can play only 2 notes at the same time.
>>> It is the same with alsa, portaudio or jack.
>>> Not really good!
>>>
>>> May be it is time to get a quad core PC, but i will have to wait for a
>>> csound designed for multi core PC :)
>>>

>>> To be continued....
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> René

>> --
>>

>> Andrés

Re: [Qutecsound-users] QuteCsound example

andy fillebrown
It's hard to see in the screen-shots, but the sliders in Windows XP
look "cheaper" than the sliders in Windows 7, due to the white
artifacts at the rounded-off corners.  So while the Windows XP sliders
look nicer in the screen-shots, the Windows 7 sliders look more
professional, fwiw.

Cheers,
~ andy.f

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Rene Djack <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> Thanks for the pictures.
> The controllers in XP are nicer than the ones in Win7 !
>
> If you don't mind i will remove the controller numbers, now they are no more
> useful.
>
> Cheers,
> René
>

> 2010/6/3 andy fillebrown <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hi Rene,
>>
>> Screenshots from Windows XP and Windows 7 are attached ...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> ~ andy.f
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Rene Djack <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > ok i will do for tomorrow.
>> >
>> > Can you send me screenshot(s) to see how the Widgets panel looks on
>> > your(s)
>> > system(s)?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > René

Re: [Qutecsound-users] QuteCsound example

Rene Djack
Et voilà :)

Pipe_Synth.csd.tar.bz2 (30K) Download Attachment

Re: [Qutecsound-users] QuteCsound example

andy fillebrown
nice!

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Rene Djack <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Et voilà :)
>
> Cheers,
> René
>

> 2010/6/3 andy fillebrown <[hidden email]>
>>
>> It's hard to see in the screen-shots, but the sliders in Windows XP
>> look "cheaper" than the sliders in Windows 7, due to the white
>> artifacts at the rounded-off corners.  So while the Windows XP sliders
>> look nicer in the screen-shots, the Windows 7 sliders look more
>> professional, fwiw.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> ~ andy.f
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Rene Djack <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Andy,
>> >
>> > Thanks for the pictures.
>> > The controllers in XP are nicer than the ones in Win7 !
>> >
>> > If you don't mind i will remove the controller numbers, now they are no
>> > more
>> > useful.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > René

Re: [Qutecsound-users] QuteCsound example

yes, nice. Also looks better on my system, which is also Ubuntu...