[Qutecsound-users] RENDER failing

Jose Halac
Hi

I have a iMac, snow leopard OSX. Have qutecsound, version 0.5.

1. This one seems the only one that opens in my computer. Is there a later one I can use?
2. It renders audiofiles with csd´s that DO NOT use audio samples as source. When I use granular csd´s, Render to file doesn´t do anything. Is there a problem with my configuration? What do I need to configure to have a csd with sound samples render audio?

3. What is the latest version I can download for my macbookPro with OSX Montain Lion 10.8.5? thanx!

Ex of csd that renders OK and below one that doesn´t:
<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsInstruments>
sr = 44100
ksmps = 32
nchnls = 1
0dbfs = 1
opcode lin_reson, a, akk
setksmps 1
avel init 0 ;velocity
ax init 0 ;deflection x
ain,kf,kdamp xin
kc = 2-sqrt(4-kdamp^2)*cos(kf*2*$M_PI/sr)
aacel = -kc*ax
avel = avel+aacel+ain
avel = avel*(1-kdamp)
ax = ax+avel
xout ax
endop
instr 1
aexc rand p4
aout lin_reson aexc,p5,p6
out aout
endin
</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
; p4 p5 p6
; excitaion freq damping
i1 0 10 .00001 440 .00001
</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>
;example by martin neukom

This one does NOT render at all:

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
-o dac -d
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>
; Example by Bjørn Houdorf, february 2013
sr = 44100
ksmps = 128
nchnls = 2
0dbfs = 1
; First we hear each grain, but later on it sounds more like a drum roll.
; If your computer have problems with running this CSD-file in real-time,
; you can render to a soundfile. Just write "-o filename" in the <CsOptions>,
; instead of "-o dac"
gareverbL init 0
gareverbR init 0
giFt1 ftgen 0, 0, 1025, 10, 2, 1 ; GEN20, Hanning window for grain envelope
; The soundfile(s) you use should be in the same folder as your csd-file
; The soundfile "fox.wav" can be downloaded at http://csound-tutorial.net/node/1/58
giFt2 ftgen 0, 0, 131072, 1, "PnoEXT1.wav", 0, 0, 0
; Instead you can use your own soundfile(s)
instr 1 ; Granular synthesis of soundfile
ipitch = sr/ftlen(giFt2) ; Original frequency of the input sound
kdens1 expon 1, p3, 11
kdens2 expon 1, p3, 11
kdens3 expon 1, p3, 11
kamp line 1, p3, 0.05
a1 grain 1, ipitch, kdens1, 1, 0, 1, giFt2, giFt1, 1
a2 grain 1, ipitch, kdens2, 1, 0, 1, giFt2, giFt1, 1
a3 grain 1, ipitch, kdens3, 1, 0, 1, giFt2, giFt1, 1
aleft = kamp*(a1+a2)
aright = kamp*(a2+a3)
outs aleft, aright ; Output granulation
gareverbL = gareverbL + a1+a2 ; send granulation to Instr 2 (Reverb)
gareverbR = gareverbR + a2+a3
endin
instr 2 ; Reverb
kkamp line 0, p3, 0.08
aL reverb gareverbL, 10*kkamp ; reverberate what is in gareverbL
aR reverb gareverbR, 10*kkamp ; and garaverbR
outs kkamp*aL, kkamp*aR ; and output the result
gareverbL = 0 ; empty the receivers for the next loop
gareverbR = 0
endin
</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
i1 0 50 ; Granulation
i2 0 60 ; Reverb
</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

José Halac, Magister en Composición.
Profesor Titular de las Cátedras de Composición I, II, III y del Seminario de Sonorización
Facultad de Artes, Universidad Nacional de Córdoba.
Director del equipo de investigación en Creatividad y Sincretismo en Composición Musical
SECYT- UNC.
Director Bienal de Composición e Investigación Musical (UNC)
www.josehalac.com.ar

Re: [Qutecsound-users] RENDER failing

version 0.5 is VERY old. The problem is that if you have different version of Csound installed than the one CsoundQt
was built with, they may conflict and CsoundQt crashes. Maybe we should think about packaging appropriate Csound libraries to the OSX bundle if to make independent OSX packages in the future (like Cabbage does, I guess)...

I am not on Mac myself but I am sure, many later versions (or all of them) of CsoundQt should work on OSX 10.8.
Probably the safest way is to use the CsoundQt that comes with the Csound package. Try the latest one from https://sourceforge.net/projects/csound/files/csound6/ and if there is any problems, move to older ones.

Hope it helps!