[Qutecsound-users] Source tarball for qutecsound 0.6.0 beta

[Qutecsound-users] Source tarball for qutecsound 0.6.0 beta

Felipe Sateler
Hi Andrés, could you make a tarball available for the 0.6.0 beta? I'd
like to package it, in preparation for the final 0.6 release.

BTW, the page at sourceforge site mentions qutecsound 0.4 in the
Downloading section.

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Source tarball for qutecsound 0.6.0 beta

Hi Felipe,

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 8:23 PM, Felipe Sateler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Andrés, could you make a tarball available for the 0.6.0 beta? I'd
> like to package it, in preparation for the final 0.6 release.

Done. The .pro file has changed substantially... I hope this won't
interfere too much with your packaging process.

I also wanted to ask you... I'm planning on relying on PythonQt for
future releases after 0.6 (see the python-console branch):
http://pythonqt.sourceforge.net/

(Currently I've added it (version 1.1) to my source tree). How would
you recommend I handle this for simple Debian distribution? Would it
be better to make a separate dependency, or just include it in the
sources?

> BTW, the page at sourceforge site mentions qutecsound 0.4 in the
> Downloading section.

Any idea where I can change this?

On 05/07/10 14:02, Andres Cabrera wrote:

> Hi Felipe,
>

> On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 8:23 PM, Felipe Sateler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Andrés, could you make a tarball available for the 0.6.0 beta? I'd
>> like to package it, in preparation for the final 0.6 release.
>>

> Done. The .pro file has changed substantially... I hope this won't
> interfere too much with your packaging process.
As long as the qmake invocation does not change substantially, it does not.

> I also wanted to ask you... I'm planning on relying on PythonQt for
> future releases after 0.6 (see the python-console branch):
> http://pythonqt.sourceforge.net/
>
> (Currently I've added it (version 1.1) to my source tree). How would
> you recommend I handle this for simple Debian distribution? Would it
> be better to make a separate dependency, or just include it in the
> sources?

PythonQt is not currently packaged for debian. I would have to package
that to package qutecsound. And it looks like it is a relatively complex
piece of software, which I'd very like avoid packaging :/. It doesn't
really matter wether you include a code copy or not, as long as there is
a way to build with a system provided version (and the licenses are
compatible, of course).

>> BTW, the page at sourceforge site mentions qutecsound 0.4 in the
>> Downloading section.
>>

> Any idea where I can change this?

I'm referring to qutecsound.sf.net. I have no idea where this is edited,
I've never made one of those.

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Felipe Sateler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As long as the qmake invocation does not change substantially, it does not.

It only changes to:

qmake qcs.pro
(but not on the src directory, but the one including it.)

> PythonQt is not currently packaged for debian. I would have to package
> that to package qutecsound. And it looks like it is a relatively complex
> piece of software, which I'd very like avoid packaging :/. It doesn't
> really matter wether you include a code copy or not, as long as there is
> a way to build with a system provided version (and the licenses are
> compatible, of course).

PythonQt is licensed LGPL, so we're fine:
http://pythonqt.sourceforge.net/License.html

What exactly do you mean by a way to build with a system provided version?

>>> BTW, the page at sourceforge site mentions qutecsound 0.4 in the
>>> Downloading section.
>>>

>> Any idea where I can change this?
>
> I'm referring to qutecsound.sf.net. I have no idea where this is edited,
> I've never made one of those.

Oh! now I see. This is just a plain html file I made. I'll change it soon.

On 06/07/10 04:53, Andres Cabrera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Felipe Sateler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As long as the qmake invocation does not change substantially, it does not.
>
> It only changes to:
>
> qmake qcs.pro
> (but not on the src directory, but the one including it.)

Yes, I had figured this out in my local copy.

>> PythonQt is not currently packaged for debian. I would have to package
>> that to package qutecsound. And it looks like it is a relatively complex
>> piece of software, which I'd very like avoid packaging :/. It doesn't
>> really matter wether you include a code copy or not, as long as there is
>> a way to build with a system provided version (and the licenses are
>> compatible, of course).
>
> PythonQt is licensed LGPL, so we're fine:
> http://pythonqt.sourceforge.net/License.html
>
> What exactly do you mean by a way to build with a system provided version?
If you bundle PythonQt, and there is a version of PythonQt already
installed on the system, I want to link qutecsound with the one
available on the system. Similar to how the incQt OSX packages include
Qt, and the other ones use the system provided one. In debian, we cannot
make packages that bundle libraries (well, it can be done, but is
frowned upon).

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Felipe Sateler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you bundle PythonQt, and there is a version of PythonQt already
> installed on the system, I want to link qutecsound with the one
> available on the system. Similar to how the incQt OSX packages include
> Qt, and the other ones use the system provided one. In debian, we cannot
> make packages that bundle libraries (well, it can be done, but is
> frowned upon).

OK. What do you think would be the best way forward for QuteCsound.
Would it be better to link to PythonQt statically?

On 06/07/10 11:38, Andres Cabrera wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Felipe Sateler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If you bundle PythonQt, and there is a version of PythonQt already
>> installed on the system, I want to link qutecsound with the one
>> available on the system. Similar to how the incQt OSX packages include
>> Qt, and the other ones use the system provided one. In debian, we cannot
>> make packages that bundle libraries (well, it can be done, but is
>> frowned upon).
>>

> OK. What do you think would be the best way forward for QuteCsound.
> Would it be better to link to PythonQt statically?
From the debian side, I prefer dynamic linking (actually, I almost need
it). I also prefer if the code is not bundled in the source release.
However, I think it is going to be easier for you to just statically
link it on all other platforms.
So I would suggest the following:

1) add a CONFIG value for use of the included pythonqt lib.
2) If that value is set, then include the .pro file in the appropriate
subdir, which will build PythonQt. Make sure to add the place where
PythonQt libs finish up built to the ld path, and the include headers to
the include path.
3) If the value is not set, use pkg-config (or whatever is appropriate
with PythonQt, maybe even require the user to provide it) to find out
the ld and gcc flags. Do not descend into the PythonQt dir.

August onwards I should have more time, maybe then I can come up with a
patch if you haven't done so yourself.

And I really hope I can get someone else to package PythonQt :).

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Source tarball for qutecsound 0.6.0 beta

Hi Felipe,

It's actually the same to me, but I'm looking for the way to make it
easier for packaging for Debian. On other platforms it is equally
simple to link statically or dynamically, as I am already bundling
other dynamic libraries, so it's only a minor addition to the
installer scripts, and it's certainly cleaner.
So I'm thinking what I'll do is have PythonQt outside the QuteCsound
source tree, and link dynamically. Would that be the ideal solution
for Debian?

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Felipe Sateler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/07/10 11:38, Andres Cabrera wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Felipe Sateler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> If you bundle PythonQt, and there is a version of PythonQt already
>>> installed on the system, I want to link qutecsound with the one
>>> available on the system. Similar to how the incQt OSX packages include
>>> Qt, and the other ones use the system provided one. In debian, we cannot
>>> make packages that bundle libraries (well, it can be done, but is
>>> frowned upon).
>>>

>> OK. What do you think would be the best way forward for QuteCsound.
>> Would it be better to link to PythonQt statically?
>
> From the debian side, I prefer dynamic linking (actually, I almost need
> it). I also prefer if the code is not bundled in the source release.
> However, I think it is going to be easier for you to just statically
> link it on all other platforms.
> So I would suggest the following:
>
> 1) add a CONFIG value for use of the included pythonqt lib.
> 2) If that value is set, then include the .pro file in the appropriate
> subdir, which will build PythonQt. Make sure to add the place where
> PythonQt libs finish up built to the ld path, and the include headers to
> the include path.
> 3) If the value is not set, use pkg-config (or whatever is appropriate
> with PythonQt, maybe even require the user to provide it) to find out
> the ld and gcc flags. Do not descend into the PythonQt dir.
>

> August onwards I should have more time, maybe then I can come up with a
> patch if you haven't done so yourself.
>
> And I really hope I can get someone else to package PythonQt :).
>
> --
> Saludos,
> Felipe Sateler

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Source tarball for qutecsound 0.6.0 beta

Felipe Sateler
Yes, that would be the ideal solution for me.

Saludos,
Felipe Sateler