[Qutecsound-users] icsound

joachim-3
hi -

when i try the first line of andrés' icsound usage example
http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/gist.githubusercontent.com/mantaraya36/8ee9a1b97cee787a5308/raw/e8da9465882faad3a0032e62c80e7bef065c7997/icsound.ipynb
i get:

import icsound
> IPython module not available, not adding csound magic.

but i have ipython installed:

jh@lenov:~$ ipython
Python 2.7.3 (default, Feb 27 2014, 19:58:35)
?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra details.

and a similar message when i start the notebook server:

[NotebookApp] The IPython Notebook is running at: http://127.0.0.1:8888/

what could be the reason for my issue?

thanks -

Re: [Qutecsound-users] icsound

joachim-3
sorry -- this went to the wrong list.
        joachim

Am 14.11.2014 um 14:25 schrieb joachim heintz:

> hi -
>
> when i try the first line of andrés' icsound usage example
> http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/gist.githubusercontent.com/mantaraya36/8ee9a1b97cee787a5308/raw/e8da9465882faad3a0032e62c80e7bef065c7997/icsound.ipynb
> i get:
>
> import icsound
>> IPython module not available, not adding csound magic.
>
> but i have ipython installed:
>
> jh@lenov:~$ ipython
> Python 2.7.3 (default, Feb 27 2014, 19:58:35)
> IPython 0.12.1 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
> ?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
> %quickref -> Quick reference.
> help      -> Python's own help system.
> object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra details.
>
> and a similar message when i start the notebook server:
>
> [NotebookApp] The IPython Notebook is running at: http://127.0.0.1:8888/
>

> what could be the reason for my issue?
>
> thanks -
> joachim

Re: [Qutecsound-users] icsound

The error message you are getting is just a warning. It means that in order to use the %%csound magic (to directly put csound code in the ipython prompt) you need to be importing the module inside ipython. Otherwise, you can still use icsound in regular python:

➜ ~>python
Python 2.7.6 (default, Mar 22 2014, 22:59:56)
[GCC 4.8.2] on linux2
>>> import icsound
IPython module not available, not adding csound magic.

➜ ~>ipython
Python 2.7.6 (default, Mar 22 2014, 22:59:56)

?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra details.

In [1]: import icsound

In [2]:

PS now re-reading the warning text, it seems to imply that you get none of csound's magic because ipython is not available :) You do get part of the magic, but not all of it...

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 11:40 AM, joachim heintz <[hidden email]> wrote:
sorry -- this went to the wrong list.
        joachim

Am 14.11.2014 um 14:25 schrieb joachim heintz:
> hi -
>
> when i try the first line of andrés' icsound usage example
> http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/gist.githubusercontent.com/mantaraya36/8ee9a1b97cee787a5308/raw/e8da9465882faad3a0032e62c80e7bef065c7997/icsound.ipynb
> i get:
>
> import icsound
>> IPython module not available, not adding csound magic.
>
> but i have ipython installed:
>
> jh@lenov:~$ ipython
> Python 2.7.3 (default, Feb 27 2014, 19:58:35)
> IPython 0.12.1 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
> ?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
> %quickref -> Quick reference.
> help      -> Python's own help system.
> object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra details.
>
> and a similar message when i start the notebook server:
>
> [NotebookApp] The IPython Notebook is running at: http://127.0.0.1:8888/
>

> what could be the reason for my issue?
>
> thanks -
>       joachim

Re: [Qutecsound-users] icsound

Rory Walsh

I started using ipython recently as a tool for explaining various synthesis techniques. I'm very much looking forward to combining it with Csound. Big thanks to Andres on behalf of the entire community for putting this together.

On 14 Nov 2014 22:31, "Andres Cabrera" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

The error message you are getting is just a warning. It means that in order to use the %%csound magic (to directly put csound code in the ipython prompt) you need to be importing the module inside ipython. Otherwise, you can still use icsound in regular python:

➜ ~>python
Python 2.7.6 (default, Mar 22 2014, 22:59:56)
[GCC 4.8.2] on linux2
>>> import icsound
IPython module not available, not adding csound magic.

➜ ~>ipython
Python 2.7.6 (default, Mar 22 2014, 22:59:56)

?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra details.

In [1]: import icsound

In [2]:

PS now re-reading the warning text, it seems to imply that you get none of csound's magic because ipython is not available :) You do get part of the magic, but not all of it...

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 11:40 AM, joachim heintz <[hidden email]> wrote:
sorry -- this went to the wrong list.
        joachim

Am 14.11.2014 um 14:25 schrieb joachim heintz:
> hi -
>
> when i try the first line of andrés' icsound usage example
> http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/gist.githubusercontent.com/mantaraya36/8ee9a1b97cee787a5308/raw/e8da9465882faad3a0032e62c80e7bef065c7997/icsound.ipynb
> i get:
>
> import icsound
>> IPython module not available, not adding csound magic.
>
> but i have ipython installed:
>
> jh@lenov:~$ ipython
> Python 2.7.3 (default, Feb 27 2014, 19:58:35)
> IPython 0.12.1 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
> ?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
> %quickref -> Quick reference.
> help      -> Python's own help system.
> object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra details.
>
> and a similar message when i start the notebook server:
>
> [NotebookApp] The IPython Notebook is running at: http://127.0.0.1:8888/
>

> what could be the reason for my issue?
>
> thanks -
>       joachim

Re: [Qutecsound-users] icsound

hi andrés -

thanks for the reply.  my problem is that i exactly get the message
"IPython module noch available" when i start it from inside ipython:

jh@lenov:~$ ipython
Python 2.7.3 (default, Feb 27 2014, 19:58:35)

?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra details.

In [1]: import icsound
IPython module not available, not adding csound magic.

In [2]:

this is illogical, isn't ist?

i saw that you had ipython 1.2.1, but mine is 0.12.1, so i thought it
might be necessary to update. but synaptic leads to the version i have
(on ubuntu studio 12.04).

any idea?

        joachim

Am 14.11.2014 um 23:31 schrieb Andres Cabrera:

> [...]
>      > object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra
>     details.
>      >
>      > and a similar message when i start the notebook server:
>      >
>      > [NotebookApp] The IPython Notebook is running at:
>     http://127.0.0.1:8888/
>      >
>      >
>      > what could be the reason for my issue?
>      >
>      > thanks -
>      >       joachim
>      >
>      >
>      > Comprehensive Server Monitoring with Site24x7.
>      > Monitor 10 servers for $9/Month.
>      > Get alerted through email, SMS, voice calls or mobile push
>     notifications.
>      > Take corrective actions from your mobile device.

I suspect it has to do with the ipython version. In any case, the only missing functionality is the csound magic. You will have to explicitly use ics.send_code(" ") instead. Everything else from icsound includeing plotting should be available.

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 2:50 PM, joachim heintz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>     details.
>      >
>      > and a similar message when i start the notebook server:
>      >
>      > [NotebookApp] The IPython Notebook is running at:
>     http://127.0.0.1:8888/
>      >
>      >
>      > what could be the reason for my issue?
>      >
>      > thanks -
>      >       joachim
>      >
>      >
>     ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>      > Comprehensive Server Monitoring with Site24x7.
>      > Monitor 10 servers for $9/Month.
>      > Get alerted through email, SMS, voice calls or mobile push
>     notifications.
>      > Take corrective actions from your mobile device.

yes, it was the version.  and after solving a minor problem (i had to
trash libLuaCsound.so) it works like a charm.  great work — so nice to
have this simple commands and to get immediate output with plots etc ...
thanks again for sharing -
        joachim

Am 16.11.2014 um 01:13 schrieb Andres Cabrera:

> [...]
>     >     Take corrective actions from your mobile device.
>     >http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=154624111&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
>     >     _______________________________________________
>     >     Qutecsound-users mailing list
>     >[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      >     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>      > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/qutecsound-users
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > Comprehensive Server Monitoring with Site24x7.
>      > Monitor 10 servers for $9/Month.
>      > Get alerted through email, SMS, voice calls or mobile push
>     notifications.
>      > Take corrective actions from your mobile device.

Hi Joachim,

Good to hear you are enjoying it. Bugs or suggestions welcome. Something I would like to do is write some python wrappers to allow you to construct instruments with python code.