[Qutecsound-users] problems with sensekey

[Qutecsound-users] problems with sensekey

joachim-3
hi  -

i cannot use the sensekey opcode in csoundqt at all.  csound reports
"read failure in sensekey", and terminates the instrument.

for instance, in the "sensekey.csd" example in the csound manual:

SECTION 1:
new alloc for instr 1:
PERF ERROR in instr 1: read failure in sensekey
k1 sensekey
    note aborted
  i1     0.00000
inactive allocs returned to freespace
end of score.   overall amps:      0.0
           overall samples out of range:        0
1 errors in performance

the strange thing is: when i start csoundqt from the terminal (just by
executing /home/jh/src/csoundqt/bin/CsoundQt-d-py-cs6), it works without
any problems (same when i "run in term").

can anyone guess what the reason is?  i am on debian 8.1, csoundqt from
latest git.

thanks -

Re: [Qutecsound-users] problems with sensekey

Tarmo Johannes

indeed,

When CsoundQt is started as an application, it doe not work.

I had tested it only from QtCreator abd then it works - since it is started from some kind of environment like terminal.

A quick but bad workaroud would be to edit the .desktop file (if installed, in $HOME/.local/share/applications or /usr/share/applications ) and make CsoundQt start in terminal:

[Desktop Entry]

Terminal=true

I will try to investigate, if there is a good solution. One problem is that is hard to debug since we cannot start it from terminal, But I will come up with something.

Best!

tarmo

On Wednesday 24 February 2016 14:44:40 joachim heintz wrote:

> hi -

> i cannot use the sensekey opcode in csoundqt at all. csound reports

> "read failure in sensekey", and terminates the instrument.

> for instance, in the "sensekey.csd" example in the csound manual:

> SECTION 1:

> new alloc for instr 1:

> PERF ERROR in instr 1: read failure in sensekey

> k1 sensekey

> note aborted

> i1 0.00000

> inactive allocs returned to freespace

> end of score. overall amps: 0.0

> overall samples out of range: 0

> 1 errors in performance

> the strange thing is: when i start csoundqt from the terminal (just by

> executing /home/jh/src/csoundqt/bin/CsoundQt-d-py-cs6), it works without

> any problems (same when i "run in term").

> can anyone guess what the reason is? i am on debian 8.1, csoundqt from

> latest git.

> thanks -

> joachim

> -- Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance

Re: [Qutecsound-users] problems with sensekey

joachim-3
thanks for the feedback, tarmo.

i will try to test tomorrow on mac to see if it is a linux issue or not.

best -
        joachim

On 24/02/16 18:27, Tarmo Johannes wrote:

> indeed,
>
> When CsoundQt is started as an application, it doe not work.
>
> I had tested it only from QtCreator abd then it works - since it is
> started from some kind of environment like terminal.
>
> A quick but bad workaroud would be to edit the .desktop file (if
> installed, in $HOME/.local/share/applications or /usr/share/applications
> ) and make CsoundQt start in terminal:
>
> [Desktop Entry]

> Terminal=true

> I will try to investigate, if there is a good solution. One problem is
> that is hard to debug since we cannot start it from terminal, But I will
> come up with something.
>
> Best!
>
> tarmo
>
> On Wednesday 24 February 2016 14:44:40 joachim heintz wrote:
>
>  > hi -
>
>  >
>
>  > i cannot use the sensekey opcode in csoundqt at all. csound reports
>
>  > "read failure in sensekey", and terminates the instrument.
>
>  >
>
>  > for instance, in the "sensekey.csd" example in the csound manual:
>
>  >
>
>  > SECTION 1:
>
>  > new alloc for instr 1:
>
>  > PERF ERROR in instr 1: read failure in sensekey
>
>  > k1 sensekey
>
>  > note aborted
>
>  > i1 0.00000
>
>  > inactive allocs returned to freespace
>
>  > end of score. overall amps: 0.0
>
>  > overall samples out of range: 0
>
>  > 1 errors in performance
>
>  >
>
>  > the strange thing is: when i start csoundqt from the terminal (just by
>
>  > executing /home/jh/src/csoundqt/bin/CsoundQt-d-py-cs6), it works without
>
>  > any problems (same when i "run in term").
>
>  >
>
>  > can anyone guess what the reason is? i am on debian 8.1, csoundqt from
>
>  > latest git.
>
>  >
>
>  > thanks -
>
>  > joachim
>
>  >
>
>  >
>
>  > -- Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
>
>  > APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
>
>  > Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
>
>  > Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
>
>  > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=272487151&iu=/4140

>  > Qutecsound-users mailing list
>
>  > [hidden email]

Re: [Qutecsound-users] problems with sensekey

I have invsetigated it, tried it this and that wasy, discussed in Csound developers list and there is no good solutions.

The thing is - sensekey reads exlusivly from standard input (ie the console's stream that comes from keyboard input) and to have a standard input there must be a console somewhere. So if to start CsoundQt as application via the desktop file, there is just no standard input stream for senseky (although CsoundQt does take care to forward the keyboard events to Csound correctly).

My experience is that if to start CsoundQt as a command ('csoundqt' in terminal or even from kicker (KDE, Alt-F2, "run csoundqt")

then senseky works, if via the desktop file (open a file or from applications menu), it does not.

So for linux users there is two ways to have sensekey working

1) start CsoundQt from terminal as command (or even click on the executable in file manager)

2) edit the destktop file and (if installed, in

$HOME/.local/share/applications or /usr/share/applications ), set Terminal=true to run CsoundQt in terminal:

[Desktop Entry]

Terminal=true

Maybe there is another clever way to trick it but I really did not find a working solution. In the code of CsdoundQt, everything is fine and nothing to change there.

Best!

tarmo

On Wednesday 24 February 2016 18:47:17 joachim heintz wrote:

> [...]

> > > Performance

> > > APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month

> > > Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now

> > > Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!

> > > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=272487151&iu=/4140

> > > [hidden email]

> > ---- Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application

> > Performance APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just

> > $35/Month

> > Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now

> > Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!

> > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=272487151&iu=/4140

> -- Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance

Re: [Qutecsound-users] problems with sensekey

hi tarmo -

thanks very much for having such a close look on this issue.

i just checked on a mac, and can confirm that the behaviour is the same:
it only works when csoundqt is started from the terminal (which is
slightly trickier on the mac than on linux, but possible, too).

the strange thing is that it used to work before.  i made some examples
for csoundqt with this feature, and on this time i was on a mac, and me
and my students could use sensekey straight away.

anyway, now i am wondering what we could do for csoundqt.  but this is a
topic for the developer list; so i will open up a thread there.

and i will open a wiki file called "Issues and possible solutions" where
i will report what people can do on linux and osx (no idea about windows).

cheers -
        joachim

On 28/02/16 01:22, Tarmo Johannes wrote:

> [...]
>
>  > > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=272487151&iu=/4140
>
>  > >
>
>  > >
>
>  > >
>
>  > > _______________________________________________
>
>  > > Qutecsound-users mailing list
>
>  > > [hidden email]

>  >
>
>  >
>
>  > -- Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
>
>  > APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
>
>  > Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
>
>  > Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
>
>  > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=272487151&iu=/4140

>  > Qutecsound-users mailing list
>
>  > [hidden email]

Re: [Qutecsound-users] problems with sensekey

Ha! I got it!

The fix was actually very simple - just to add one line to send a dummy keypress to Csound when KeyEventCallback is regeistered.

https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/commit/0924e41894f7f1f793390e2d11d9e7ac3b682468

But it was really long digging to get to that....

So please pull from git and see if it works for you.

You may also note that The version number reads now 0.9.2. I think we are very close to announce the release soon.

Best!

tarmo

On Sunday 28 February 2016 12:53:11 joachim heintz wrote:

> [...]

> > > Performance

> > > APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month

> > > Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now

> > > Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!

> > > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=272487151&iu=/4140

> > > [hidden email]

> > ---- Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application

> > Performance APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just

> > $35/Month

> > Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now

> > Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!

> > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=272487151&iu=/4140

> -- Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance

Re: [Qutecsound-users] problems with sensekey

Felipe Sateler
Awesome :)

On 1 March 2016 at 07:44, Tarmo Johannes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

>> > (just by

>> > from

>> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>> > -->

>> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>> > ---- Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application
>
>> > Performance APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just
>
>> > $35/Month
>
>> > Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
>
>> > Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
>
>> > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=272487151&iu=/4140

>> -- Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance

Saludos,
Felipe Sateler

Re: [Qutecsound-users] problems with sensekey

joachim-3
juchu!!

i just tested on linux, and it works perfectly ... ==)))))

bravo tarmo; you are our hero now =)

i will check on osx on thursday.

super tuesday ...

        joachim

On 01/03/16 17:28, Felipe Sateler wrote:

> Awesome :)
>
> On 1 March 2016 at 07:44, Tarmo Johannes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ha! I got it!
>>

>> The fix was actually very simple - just to add one line to send a dummy
>> keypress to Csound when KeyEventCallback is regeistered.
>>

>> https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/commit/0924e41894f7f1f793390e2d11d9e7ac3b682468
>>

>> But it was really long digging to get to that....
>>

>> So please pull from git and see if it works for you.
>>

>> You may also note that The version number reads now 0.9.2. I think we are
>> very close to announce the release soon.
>>

>> Best!
>>
>> tarmo

>> On Sunday 28 February 2016 12:53:11 joachim heintz wrote:
>>
>>> hi tarmo -
>>

>>> thanks very much for having such a close look on this issue.
>>

>>> i just checked on a mac, and can confirm that the behaviour is the same:
>>
>>> it only works when csoundqt is started from the terminal (which is
>>
>>> slightly trickier on the mac than on linux, but possible, too).
>>

>>> the strange thing is that it used to work before. i made some examples
>>
>>> for csoundqt with this feature, and on this time i was on a mac, and me
>>
>>> and my students could use sensekey straight away.
>>

>>> anyway, now i am wondering what we could do for csoundqt. but this is a
>>
>>> topic for the developer list; so i will open up a thread there.
>>

>>> and i will open a wiki file called "Issues and possible solutions" where
>>
>>> i will report what people can do on linux and osx (no idea about windows).
>>

>>> cheers -
>>
>>> joachim

>>> -- Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
>>
>>> APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
>>
>>> Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
>>
>>> Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
>>
>>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=272487151&iu=/4140

Re: [Qutecsound-users] problems with sensekey

joachim-3
just to note that it works on osx, too =)