[Qutecsound-users] shortcuts for tabs?

joachim-3
when i work with csoundqt, i miss the possibility to change between
files (tabe) with a shortcut (as in a browser or in other text editors
like gedit).

is it currently possible?

if not, would it be hard to implement?

cheers -

Re: [Qutecsound-users] shortcuts for tabs?

Tarmo Johannes-2
Hi,

The imlementation would be quite simple. What is preferred shortcut?

Tarmo

10.06.2017 14:29 kirjutas kuupäeval "joachim heintz" <[hidden email]>:
when i work with csoundqt, i miss the possibility to change between files (tabe) with a shortcut (as in a browser or in other text editors like gedit).

is it currently possible?

if not, would it be hard to implement?

cheers -

Re: [Qutecsound-users] shortcuts for tabs?

joachim-3
hi tarmo -

that's great to know.

usually we have in browsers etc (even in the terminal) ALT+1 for the
first tab, ALT+2 for the second, etc.  but as this goes from the
beginning of csoundqt to widgets panel, manual etc, my suggestion would
be to have ALT+SHIFT+1 for the first tab, and so on.  everyone can
change this then in the keyboard shortcuts.

cheers -
        joachim

On 11/06/17 11:30, Tarmo Johannes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The imlementation would be quite simple. What is preferred shortcut?
>
> Tarmo
>
> 10.06.2017 14:29 kirjutas kuupäeval "joachim heintz"
> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     when i work with csoundqt, i miss the possibility to change between
>     files (tabe) with a shortcut (as in a browser or in other text
>     editors like gedit).
>
>     is it currently possible?
>
>     if not, would it be hard to implement?
>
>     cheers -
>             joachim

Re: [Qutecsound-users] shortcuts for tabs?

Tarmo Johannes-2
Hi,

I finally got to it and found an elegant way how to code it with reasonably
little lines.

Pushed to git, develop branch.

Now the shortcuts are hardcoded: Alt-Shift-1 for first tab etc  until Alt-
Shift-0 which stands for 10th tab.

Is it OK if I don't add it to configurable shortcuts list -  it would get too
long and it is easy to mess something else up when users start to change it,
But maybe I am wrong.

Please test and let know what you think!

tarmo

Tested currently only on Linux, not sure what is the key combi

On pühapäev, 11. juuni 2017 15:01.05 EEST joachim heintz wrote:

> hi tarmo -
>
> that's great to know.
>
> usually we have in browsers etc (even in the terminal) ALT+1 for the
> first tab, ALT+2 for the second, etc.  but as this goes from the
> beginning of csoundqt to widgets panel, manual etc, my suggestion would
> be to have ALT+SHIFT+1 for the first tab, and so on.  everyone can
> change this then in the keyboard shortcuts.
>
> cheers -
> joachim
>
> On 11/06/17 11:30, Tarmo Johannes wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The imlementation would be quite simple. What is preferred shortcut?
> >
> > Tarmo
> >
> > 10.06.2017 14:29 kirjutas kuupäeval "joachim heintz"
> >
> > <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
> >     when i work with csoundqt, i miss the possibility to change between
> >     files (tabe) with a shortcut (as in a browser or in other text
> >     editors like gedit).
> >
> >     is it currently possible?
> >
> >     if not, would it be hard to implement?
> >
> >     cheers -
> >
> >             joachim

Re: [Qutecsound-users] shortcuts for tabs?

Eduardo Moguillansky
Thanks, Tarmo.

> Is it OK if I don't add it to configurable shortcuts list -

That would be fine for me.

On a related topic, would it be possible to modify the actions for the Help
and Output panels (Alt+#), so that the shortcut brings the given panel in
focus? I tend to have the Help, Output and Widget panels tabbed and would
like the shortcuts to bring the given tab to the foreground instead of just
making the tab appear and disappear.

Best regards,
Eduardo Moguillansky

> would get too
> long and it is easy to mess something else up when users start
> to change it,
> But maybe I am wrong.
>
> Please test and let know what you think!
>
> tarmo
>
> Tested currently only on Linux, not sure what is the key combi
>

> On pühapäev, 11. juuni 2017 15:01.05 EEST joachim heintz wrote:
>> hi tarmo -
>>
>> that's great to know.
>>
>> usually we have in browsers etc (even in the terminal) ALT+1 for the
>> first tab, ALT+2 for the second, etc.  but as this goes from the
>> beginning of csoundqt to widgets panel, manual etc, my
>> suggestion would ...

Re: [Qutecsound-users] shortcuts for tabs?

Tarmo Johannes-2
Hi!

> On a related topic, would it be possible to modify the actions for the Help
> and Output panels (Alt+#), so that the shortcut brings the given panel in
> focus? I tend to have the Help, Output and Widget panels tabbed and would
> like the shortcuts to bring the given tab to the foreground instead of just
> making the tab appear and disappear.
>
> Best regards,
> Eduardo Moguillansky

Sounds good idea to me - to leave showing/hiding panels (like console, help,
inspector widgets etc) to menus and toolbar but to use shortcuts (Alt-0, Alt-1
etc) to bring the panel to focus OR to make it visible if it is hidden.

Also I would like to ge rid of closing Console or Widgets with "Escape"
sometimes (a bug probably somewhere).

Other users -  what do you think!

Re: [Qutecsound-users] shortcuts for tabs?

joachim-3
i will be happy to test it once it is there, and then i can tell whether
i like it or not.

so i'd say: if it looks feasable for you, go ahead and let's try.

        joachim

On 05/07/17 10:52, Tarmo Johannes wrote:

> Hi!
>
>> On a related topic, would it be possible to modify the actions for the Help
>> and Output panels (Alt+#), so that the shortcut brings the given panel in
>> focus? I tend to have the Help, Output and Widget panels tabbed and would
>> like the shortcuts to bring the given tab to the foreground instead of just
>> making the tab appear and disappear.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Eduardo Moguillansky
>
> Sounds good idea to me - to leave showing/hiding panels (like console, help,
> inspector widgets etc) to menus and toolbar but to use shortcuts (Alt-0, Alt-1
> etc) to bring the panel to focus OR to make it visible if it is hidden.
>
> Also I would like to ge rid of closing Console or Widgets with "Escape"
> sometimes (a bug probably somewhere).
>
> Other users -  what do you think!
>
> tarmo

Re: [Qutecsound-users] shortcuts for tabs?

joachim-3
hi again -

i just pulled and built from git.  when i now have two panels active
(for instance widgets and manual), and use the shortcut for one of them,
it only works when they are docked.

as i am using usually non-docked mode (in particular for the widgets), i
would like when the panel becomes active when i use the shortcut.

would it be possible to implement this?

ciao -
        joachim

On 05/07/17 18:19, joachim heintz wrote:

> i will be happy to test it once it is there, and then i can tell whether
> i like it or not.
>
> so i'd say: if it looks feasable for you, go ahead and let's try.
>
>     joachim
>

> On 05/07/17 10:52, Tarmo Johannes wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>>> On a related topic, would it be possible to modify the actions for
>>> the Help
>>> and Output panels (Alt+#), so that the shortcut brings the given
>>> panel in
>>> focus? I tend to have the Help, Output and Widget panels tabbed and
>>> would
>>> like the shortcuts to bring the given tab to the foreground instead
>>> of just
>>> making the tab appear and disappear.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Eduardo Moguillansky
>>
>> Sounds good idea to me - to leave showing/hiding panels (like console,
>> help,
>> inspector widgets etc) to menus and toolbar but to use shortcuts
>> (Alt-0, Alt-1
>> etc) to bring the panel to focus OR to make it visible if it is hidden.
>>
>> Also I would like to ge rid of closing Console or Widgets with "Escape"
>> sometimes (a bug probably somewhere).
>>
>> Other users -  what do you think!
>>
>> tarmo

Re: [Qutecsound-users] shortcuts for tabs?

Eduardo Moguillansky
I also just pulled and built. It makes working with tabbed panels much
easier. Undocked panels are now somewhat confusing. What is different from
the old behaviour regarding undocked panels is that the shortcut does not
toggle the panel, it just opens it or focuses it, but it does not close it.
Most importantly, if two undocked panels are open, the shortcut does not
raise the panel to the foreground, it just focuses it.

I don't know qt to say if the following suggestion is possible, but a
behaviour which would serve both approaches would be to toggle visibility
when the panel is not docked, and to focus it when it is docked.

On Sonntag, 9. Juli 2017 08:28:19 CEST, joachim heintz wrote:

> hi again -
>
> i just pulled and built from git.  when i now have two panels
> active (for instance widgets and manual), and use the shortcut
> for one of them, it only works when they are docked.
>
> as i am using usually non-docked mode (in particular for the
> widgets), i would like when the panel becomes active when i use
> the shortcut.
>
> would it be possible to implement this?
>
> ciao -
> joachim
>

> On 05/07/17 18:19, joachim heintz wrote:
>> i will be happy to test it once it is there, and then i can tell whether
>> i like it or not.
>>
>> so i'd say: if it looks feasable for you, go ahead and let's try.
>>
>>     joachim

Re: [Qutecsound-users] shortcuts for tabs?

Tarmo Johannes-2
Hi,
Thanks for feedback!  I will see how to implement it for both docked and undocked pqnels but sure there is a way.

What concerns keyboard shortcuts I would suggest to change the system:
Alt-1 Alt-2 etc for editor tabs (open files) - as it is usual in web browsers and shift-alt-num for focusing panels, ctrl-alt-num to make them fullscreen.

This change will probably create ambiguous shortcuts problem that will be solved with retstore shortcuts. Maybe I need to find a way to display a warning message box in that case.

What do you think? Will try to make test build for windows and osx as well next week.

Tarmo

09.07.2017 11:56 kirjutas kuupäeval "Eduardo Moguillansky" <[hidden email]>:
I also just pulled and built. It makes working with tabbed panels much easier. Undocked panels are now somewhat confusing. What is different from the old behaviour regarding undocked panels is that the shortcut does not toggle the panel, it just opens it or focuses it, but it does not close it. Most importantly, if two undocked panels are open, the shortcut does not raise the panel to the foreground, it just focuses it.
I don't know qt to say if the following suggestion is possible, but a behaviour which would serve both approaches would be to toggle visibility when the panel is not docked, and to focus it when it is docked.

On Sonntag, 9. Juli 2017 08:28:19 CEST, joachim heintz wrote:
hi again -

i just pulled and built from git.  when i now have two panels active (for instance widgets and manual), and use the shortcut for one of them, it only works when they are docked.

as i am using usually non-docked mode (in particular for the widgets), i would like when the panel becomes active when i use the shortcut.

would it be possible to implement this?

ciao -
        joachim

On 05/07/17 18:19, joachim heintz wrote:
i will be happy to test it once it is there, and then i can tell whether
i like it or not.

so i'd say: if it looks feasable for you, go ahead and let's try.

    joachim

Re: [Qutecsound-users] shortcuts for tabs?

Eduardo Moguillansky

> What concerns keyboard shortcuts I would suggest to change the system:
> Alt-1 Alt-2 etc for editor tabs (open files) - as it is usual
> in web browsers and shift-alt-num for focusing panels,

I myself switch much more often between panels as I do between files, so it
would be great to do it the other way around, but that's just me

> ctrl-alt-num to make them fullscreen.
>
> This change will probably create ambiguous shortcuts problem
> that will be solved with retstore shortcuts. Maybe I need to
> find a way to display a warning message box in that case.
>
> What do you think? Will try to make test build for windows and
> osx as well next week.
>
> Tarmo
>

> 09.07.2017 11:56 kirjutas kuupäeval "Eduardo Moguillansky"
> <[hidden email]>:
> I also just pulled and built. It makes working with tabbed
> panels much easier. Undocked panels are now somewhat confusing.
> What is different from the old behaviour regarding undocked
> panels is that the shortcut does not toggle the panel, it just
> opens it or focuses it, but it does not close it. Most
> importantly, if two undocked panels are open, the shortcut does
> not raise the panel to the foreground, it just focuses it.
> I don't know qt to say if the following suggestion is possible,
> but a behaviour which would serve both approaches would be to
> toggle visibility when the panel is not docked, and to focus it
> when it is docked.
>

> On Sonntag, 9. Juli 2017 08:28:19 CEST, joachim heintz wrote:
> hi again -
>
> i just pulled and built from git.  when i now have two panels
> active (for instance widgets and manual), and use the shortcut
> for one of them, it only works when they are docked.
>
> as i am using usually non-docked mode (in particular for the
> widgets), i would like when the panel becomes active when i use
> the shortcut.
>
> would it be possible to implement this?
>
> ciao -
>         joachim
>

> On 05/07/17 18:19, joachim heintz wrote:
> i will be happy to test it once it is there, and then i can tell whether
> i like it or not.
>
> so i'd say: if it looks feasable for you, go ahead and let's try.
>
>     joachim

Re: [Qutecsound-users] shortcuts for tabs?

joachim-3
i agree that 1) Alt+Num is the usual shortcut for tabs, so we should use
that, too, and that 2) switching between panels is the most frequently
used shortcut, so should be made as simple as possible.  so my suggestion:
- Alt+Num for switching tabs
- Ctrl+Num for switching panels

Ctrl+Alt+Num for fullscreen is a very good idea.

if any possible, make all the shortcuts accessible for the users.

thanks and best -
        joachim

On 09/07/17 11:42, Eduardo Moguillansky wrote:

>> What concerns keyboard shortcuts I would suggest to change the system:
>> Alt-1 Alt-2 etc for editor tabs (open files) - as it is usual in web
>> browsers and shift-alt-num for focusing panels,
>
> I myself switch much more often between panels as I do between files, so
> it would be great to do it the other way around, but that's just me
>
>> ctrl-alt-num to make them fullscreen.
>>
>> This change will probably create ambiguous shortcuts problem that will
>> be solved with retstore shortcuts. Maybe I need to find a way to
>> display a warning message box in that case.
>>
>> What do you think? Will try to make test build for windows and osx as
>> well next week.
>>
>> Tarmo
>>

>> 09.07.2017 11:56 kirjutas kuupäeval "Eduardo Moguillansky"
>> <[hidden email]>:
>> I also just pulled and built. It makes working with tabbed panels much
>> easier. Undocked panels are now somewhat confusing. What is different
>> from the old behaviour regarding undocked panels is that the shortcut
>> does not toggle the panel, it just opens it or focuses it, but it does
>> not close it. Most importantly, if two undocked panels are open, the
>> shortcut does not raise the panel to the foreground, it just focuses
>> it. I don't know qt to say if the following suggestion is possible,
>> but a behaviour which would serve both approaches would be to toggle
>> visibility when the panel is not docked, and to focus it when it is
>> docked.
>>

>> On Sonntag, 9. Juli 2017 08:28:19 CEST, joachim heintz wrote:
>> hi again -
>>
>> i just pulled and built from git.  when i now have two panels active
>> (for instance widgets and manual), and use the shortcut for one of
>> them, it only works when they are docked.
>>
>> as i am using usually non-docked mode (in particular for the widgets),
>> i would like when the panel becomes active when i use the shortcut.
>>
>> would it be possible to implement this?
>>
>> ciao -
>>         joachim
>>

>> On 05/07/17 18:19, joachim heintz wrote:
>> i will be happy to test it once it is there, and then i can tell whether
>> i like it or not.
>>
>> so i'd say: if it looks feasable for you, go ahead and let's try.
>>
>>     joachim

Re: [Qutecsound-users] shortcuts for tabs?

Tarmo Johannes-2
Hi,

Joachim's suggestion sound logical, I implemented it now this way:

Alt+number -  activates editor's tab
Ctrl+nubmer - raises/hides a panel. If panel is docked, focuses it, if panel
is floating, opens if hidded or closes when visible. All docks can be switched
in or out also form View menu or using toolbar buttons. The panels are as
follows:

Ctrl+0 -  focus to editor
Ctrl+1 -  widgets
Ctr+2 - manual (help Panel)
Ctr+3 - console
Ctrl+ 4- html view, if built with html5 support (NB! this was used for make
code graph before, but it seems to be rather minor tool)
Ctrl + 5 Inspector
Ctr +6 Live Events (always separate window)
Ctrl +7 Python Console (if built with pythonqt support)
Ctrl+8 Code pad
Ctr+9 -  Utilities (always different window)

NB! you MUST set shortcuts to defaults from Edit->Configure shortcuts to make
it work.
I have not programmed yet a warning box about possible ambiguous shortcuts, I
will see how to make it.

Only tested on Linux for now.

Please let know how it feels!

tarmo

On pühapäev, 9. juuli 2017 12:04.08 EEST joachim heintz wrote:

> [...]
> >> them, it only works when they are docked.
> >>
> >> as i am using usually non-docked mode (in particular for the widgets),
> >> i would like when the panel becomes active when i use the shortcut.
> >>
> >> would it be possible to implement this?
> >>
> >> ciao -
> >>
> >>         joachim
> >>
> >> On 05/07/17 18:19, joachim heintz wrote:
> >> i will be happy to test it once it is there, and then i can tell whether
> >> i like it or not.
> >>
> >> so i'd say: if it looks feasable for you, go ahead and let's try.
> >>
> >>     joachim
> >>
> >> On 05/07/17 10:52, Tarmo Johannes wrote: ...

> >> -----

> >> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot

> >> -----

> >> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot

Re: [Qutecsound-users] shortcuts for tabs?

It works great for me on Linux. Fantastic work, Tarmo, thanks!

On Sonntag, 9. Juli 2017 14:00:15 CEST, Tarmo Johannes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Joachim's suggestion sound logical, I implemented it now this way:
>
> Alt+number -  activates editor's tab
> Ctrl+nubmer - raises/hides a panel. If panel is docked, focuses
> it, if panel
> is floating, opens if hidded or closes when visible. All docks
> can be switched
> in or out also form View menu or using toolbar buttons. The panels are as
> follows:
>
> Ctrl+0 -  focus to editor
> Ctrl+1 -  widgets
> Ctr+2 - manual (help Panel)
> Ctr+3 - console
> Ctrl+ 4- html view, if built with html5 support (NB! this was used for make
> code graph before, but it seems to be rather minor tool)
> Ctrl + 5 Inspector
> Ctr +6 Live Events (always separate window)
> Ctrl +7 Python Console (if built with pythonqt support)
> Ctrl+8 Code pad
> Ctr+9 -  Utilities (always different window)
>
> NB! you MUST set shortcuts to defaults from Edit->Configure
> shortcuts to make
> it work.
> I have not programmed yet a warning box about possible
> ambiguous shortcuts, I
> will see how to make it.
>
> Only tested on Linux for now.
>
> Please let know how it feels!
>
> tarmo
>
> On pühapäev, 9. juuli 2017 12:04.08 EEST joachim heintz wrote:
>> i agree that 1) Alt+Num is the usual shortcut for tabs, so we should use
>> that, too, and that 2) switching between panels is the most frequently
>> used shortcut, so should be made as simple as possible.  so my suggestion:
>> - Alt+Num for switching tabs
>> - Ctrl+Num for switching panels ...

Re: [Qutecsound-users] shortcuts for tabs?

joachim-3
yes, for me too.

(i needed some time to understand because i have some panels which are
docked, others are free.  they react different now, but you describe
carefully how.)

just as a question: if it is easy to separate a docked panel whether
a) it shares the same place with another, or
b) if it uses another place -

then i would ask whether we can apply for a) the same behaviour as for
the free panels.

example: i have my console at the bottom, and my inspector at the left.
they do not share the same space.  in this case i would like to
show/hide the panels.  the current behaviour has no effect (only if i
push the button).

but this is not very important.  if too complicated, leave it as it is now.

thanks for great work, tarmo!

        joachim

On 09/07/17 14:59, Eduardo Moguillansky wrote:

> It works great for me on Linux. Fantastic work, Tarmo, thanks!
>
> On Sonntag, 9. Juli 2017 14:00:15 CEST, Tarmo Johannes wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Joachim's suggestion sound logical, I implemented it now this way:
>>
>> Alt+number -  activates editor's tab
>> Ctrl+nubmer - raises/hides a panel. If panel is docked, focuses it, if
>> panel is floating, opens if hidded or closes when visible. All docks
>> can be switched in or out also form View menu or using toolbar
>> buttons. The panels are as follows:
>>
>> Ctrl+0 -  focus to editor
>> Ctrl+1 -  widgets
>> Ctr+2 - manual (help Panel)
>> Ctr+3 - console
>> Ctrl+ 4- html view, if built with html5 support (NB! this was used for
>> make code graph before, but it seems to be rather minor tool)
>> Ctrl + 5 Inspector
>> Ctr +6 Live Events (always separate window)
>> Ctrl +7 Python Console (if built with pythonqt support)
>> Ctrl+8 Code pad
>> Ctr+9 -  Utilities (always different window)
>>
>> NB! you MUST set shortcuts to defaults from Edit->Configure shortcuts
>> to make it work.
>> I have not programmed yet a warning box about possible ambiguous
>> shortcuts, I will see how to make it.
>>
>> Only tested on Linux for now.
>>
>> Please let know how it feels!
>>
>> tarmo
>>
>> On pühapäev, 9. juuli 2017 12:04.08 EEST joachim heintz wrote:
>>> i agree that 1) Alt+Num is the usual shortcut for tabs, so we should use
>>> that, too, and that 2) switching between panels is the most frequently
>>> used shortcut, so should be made as simple as possible.  so my
>>> suggestion:
>>> - Alt+Num for switching tabs
>>> - Ctrl+Num for switching panels ...

Re: [Qutecsound-users] shortcuts for tabs?

Tarmo Johannes-2

Hi, Joachim,

> just as a question: if it is easy to separate a docked panel whether

> a) it shares the same place with another, or

> b) if it uses another place -

> then i would ask whether we can apply for a) the same behaviour as for

> the free panels.

- it would not be simple to code that. But is is just one click to switch a panels on or off from toolbutton on the toolbar, so I would leave this feature to users' fingers :)

greetings,

tarmo

> example: i have my console at the bottom, and my inspector at the left.

> they do not share the same space. in this case i would like to

> show/hide the panels. the current behaviour has no effect (only if i

> push the button).

> but this is not very important. if too complicated, leave it as it is now.

> thanks for great work, tarmo!

> joachim

> On 09/07/17 14:59, Eduardo Moguillansky wrote:

> > It works great for me on Linux. Fantastic work, Tarmo, thanks!

> > On Sonntag, 9. Juli 2017 14:00:15 CEST, Tarmo Johannes wrote:

> >> Hi,

> >> Joachim's suggestion sound logical, I implemented it now this way:

> >> Alt+number - activates editor's tab

> >> Ctrl+nubmer - raises/hides a panel. If panel is docked, focuses it, if

> >> panel is floating, opens if hidded or closes when visible. All docks

> >> can be switched in or out also form View menu or using toolbar

> >> buttons. The panels are as follows:

> >> Ctrl+0 - focus to editor

> >> Ctrl+1 - widgets

> >> Ctr+2 - manual (help Panel)

> >> Ctr+3 - console

> >> Ctrl+ 4- html view, if built with html5 support (NB! this was used for

> >> make code graph before, but it seems to be rather minor tool)

> >> Ctrl + 5 Inspector

> >> Ctr +6 Live Events (always separate window)

> >> Ctrl +7 Python Console (if built with pythonqt support)

> >> Ctrl+8 Code pad

> >> Ctr+9 - Utilities (always different window)

> >> NB! you MUST set shortcuts to defaults from Edit->Configure shortcuts

> >> to make it work.

> >> I have not programmed yet a warning box about possible ambiguous

> >> shortcuts, I will see how to make it.

> >> Only tested on Linux for now.

> >> Please let know how it feels!

> >> tarmo

> >> -----

> >> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot

> > ----

Re: [Qutecsound-users] shortcuts for tabs?

joachim-3
yeah, allright.
cheers -