Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt 0.9.3 Ubuntu

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt 0.9.3 Ubuntu

Tarmo Johannes

Hi, Marcelo,

I copy in CsoundQt mailing-list as it can be useful for others as well.

The newest version (released a week ago) is 0.9.4, please download that:

https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/releases/tag/0.9.4

There is no debian package of that yet but one exist of 0.9.3 that you should be able to install with

apt-get install csoundqt

(or something similar) if you have correct repositories enabled. Sorry, I know little about Ubuntu/Debian package management, perhaps others can help you better.

---

Oh I found one Joachim's suggestion:

2. download https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/csoundqt/download

this is a .deb package which you should be able to install via
double-click in ubuntu, i think.

---

But I definitely recommend to go through building it from sources - once you have done it, all next builds go easily and you can always get the newest improvements from develop branch and self built versions are more stable since there cannot be conflicts with your system.

See BUILDING.md in the source folder

and wiki page: https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/wiki/Building-CsoundQt-for-Debian-with-QtCreator (somewhat outdated but is definitely helpful)

and a mailing list thread:

https://sourceforge.net/p/qutecsound/mailman/qutecsound-users/thread/CAJC3J9zOiRqOkGHrLzVjWMvLsBB_Grqsk8j_fM9mJ4JAsxEYGg%40mail.gmail.com/#msg35431911

The most important thing is to get all required Qt development packages installed, then it should work quite straight-forward

Let know in the mailing-list if you have any problems!

tarmo

On laupäev, 20. mai 2017 9:49.16 EEST you wrote:

> Dear Tarmo, sorry to bother with this, but every update I face the same

> problem.

> I have downloaded Sourcecode.tar.gz from git and unpacked it. Now what? How

> do I install it?

> I am using ubuntu studio 16.04

> Thank you and sorry again

> Bests

> Marcelo Carneiro

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt 0.9.3 Ubuntu

Marcelo Carneiro de Lima
Thank you very much. I read de BUILDING.md, and I confess I was a little scary with the instructions. Then I went to qtcreator homepage and notice that this is a paid software, but maybe I misunderstood it.
Thank you again. I will post it directly  on the list next time.
Bests
Marcelo

--
Marcelo Carneiro
(21) 9382-3621

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt 0.9.3 Ubuntu

Tarmo Johannes
No, no

QtCreator is definitely free. If you download it form Qt-s page, you should
click everywhere that you use it for opensource (GPL) development or personal
use and you don't have to pay.

OR (maybe even easier): use your pacakge manager and install QtCreator from
there.  OR perhaps
sudo apt-get install qtcreator
does the trick,

Note that it is adivesd to have at least Qt 5.3, but that is most likely , at
least partly, already present in your system. Package manader is your frien
also for installing missind Qt development libraries (-dev pacakages).

But if you install Qt from their webpage and run QtCreator from where it is
installed <install path>/Tools/QtCreator/bin
you probably should not need to install anything extra.

tarmo

On esmaspäev, 22. mai 2017 10:11.49 EEST Marcelo Carneiro de Lima wrote:

> Thank you very much. I read de BUILDING.md, and I confess I was a little
> scary with the instructions. Then I went to qtcreator homepage and notice
> that this is a paid software, but maybe I misunderstood it.
> Thank you again. I will post it directly  on the list next time.
> Bests
> Marcelo
>

> Em seg, 22 de mai de 2017 às 05:48, Tarmo Johannes <
>
> [hidden email]> escreveu:
> > Hi, Marcelo,
> >

> > I copy in CsoundQt mailing-list as it can be useful for others as well.
> >

> > The newest version (released a week ago) is 0.9.4, please download that:
> >
> > https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/releases/tag/0.9.4
> >

> > There is no debian package of that yet but one exist of 0.9.3 that you
> > should be able to install with
> >
> > apt-get install csoundqt
> >
> > (or something similar) if you have correct repositories enabled. Sorry, I
> > know little about Ubuntu/Debian package management, perhaps others can
> > help
> > you better.
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Oh I found one Joachim's suggestion:
> >
> > 2. download https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/csoundqt/download
> >
> > this is a .deb package which you should be able to install via
> >
> > double-click in ubuntu, i think.
> >
> > ---
> >

> > But I definitely recommend to go through building it from sources - once
> > you have done it, all next builds go easily and you can always get the
> > newest improvements from develop branch and self built versions are more
> > stable since there cannot be conflicts with your system.
> >

> > See BUILDING.md in the source folder
> >
> > and wiki page:
> > https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/wiki/Building-CsoundQt-for-Debian-wit
> > h-QtCreator (somewhat outdated but is definitely helpful)
> >
> > and a mailing list thread:
> >

> > https://sourceforge.net/p/qutecsound/mailman/qutecsound-users/thread/CAJC3
> > J9zOiRqOkGHrLzVjWMvLsBB_Grqsk8j_fM9mJ4JAsxEYGg%40mail.gmail.com/#msg354319
> > 11
> >

> > The most important thing is to get all required Qt development packages
> > installed, then it should work quite straight-forward
> >

> > Let know in the mailing-list if you have any problems!
> >

> > tarmo
> >
> > On laupäev, 20. mai 2017 9:49.16 EEST you wrote:
> > > Dear Tarmo, sorry to bother with this, but every update I face the same
> > >
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > I have downloaded Sourcecode.tar.gz from git and unpacked it. Now what?
> >
> > How
> >
> > > do I install it?
> > >
> > > I am using ubuntu studio 16.04
> > >
> > > Thank you and sorry again
> > >
> > > Bests
> > >
> > > Marcelo Carneiro

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt 0.9.3 Ubuntu

Marcelo Carneiro de Lima
Oh, Thanks. I have  just downloaded it. Now I am gonna read the instructions. I will keep you informed.
Thank you.
Bests
Marcelo

> [...]

> > See BUILDING.md in the source folder
> >
> > and wiki page:
> > https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/wiki/Building-CsoundQt-for-Debian-wit
> > h-QtCreator (somewhat outdated but is definitely helpful)
> >
> > and a mailing list thread:
> >

> > https://sourceforge.net/p/qutecsound/mailman/qutecsound-users/thread/CAJC3
> > J9zOiRqOkGHrLzVjWMvLsBB_Grqsk8j_fM9mJ4JAsxEYGg%40mail.gmail.com/#msg354319
> > 11
> >

> > The most important thing is to get all required Qt development packages
> > installed, then it should work quite straight-forward
> >

> > Let know in the mailing-list if you have any problems!
> >

> > tarmo
> >
> > On laupäev, 20. mai 2017 9:49.16 EEST you wrote:
> > > Dear Tarmo, sorry to bother with this, but every update I face the same
> > >
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > I have downloaded Sourcecode.tar.gz from git and unpacked it. Now what?

Marcelo Carneiro
(21) 9382-3621
(21) 3497-0193

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt 0.9.3 Ubuntu

Marcelo Carneiro de Lima
Hi, I am trying to follow the instructions on https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/wiki/Building-CsoundQt-for-Debian-with-QtCreator. First thing is: "In QtCreator, choose New Project > Import Project > Git Clone. Insert https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt.git as Repository.".
After doing this and press Next QTCreator says that the requested URL presented a fatal Error 400
Everything stucks and no Csoundqt yet.

Any tips? :(

> [...]

> > See BUILDING.md in the source folder
> >
> > and wiki page:
> > https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/wiki/Building-CsoundQt-for-Debian-wit
> > h-QtCreator (somewhat outdated but is definitely helpful)
> >
> > and a mailing list thread:
> >

> > https://sourceforge.net/p/qutecsound/mailman/qutecsound-users/thread/CAJC3
> > J9zOiRqOkGHrLzVjWMvLsBB_Grqsk8j_fM9mJ4JAsxEYGg%40mail.gmail.com/#msg354319
> > 11
> >

> > The most important thing is to get all required Qt development packages
> > installed, then it should work quite straight-forward
> >

> > Let know in the mailing-list if you have any problems!
> >

> > tarmo
> >
> > On laupäev, 20. mai 2017 9:49.16 EEST you wrote:
> > > Dear Tarmo, sorry to bother with this, but every update I face the same
> > >
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > I have downloaded Sourcecode.tar.gz from git and unpacked it. Now what?

Marcelo Carneiro
(21) 9382-3621
(21) 3497-0193

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt 0.9.3 Ubuntu

Tarmo Johannes-2
Hi,

The hint seems to be correct. Do you have git installed and configured in QtCreator (Options - Version control) if git is there, it should work out of the box usually
OR
  downlad sources as zip or tar.gz file from github, unpack and open qcs.pro (Open Project) in QtCreator.

Your feedback is very valuable - then it is possible to improve the building instructions!

Tarmo

25.05.2017 3:42 kirjutas kuupäeval "Marcelo Carneiro de Lima" <[hidden email]>:
> [...]

> > See BUILDING.md in the source folder
> >
> > and wiki page:
> > https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/wiki/Building-CsoundQt-for-Debian-wit
> > h-QtCreator (somewhat outdated but is definitely helpful)
> >
> > and a mailing list thread:
> >

> > https://sourceforge.net/p/qutecsound/mailman/qutecsound-users/thread/CAJC3
> > J9zOiRqOkGHrLzVjWMvLsBB_Grqsk8j_fM9mJ4JAsxEYGg%40mail.gmail.com/#msg354319
> > 11
> >

> > The most important thing is to get all required Qt development packages
> > installed, then it should work quite straight-forward
> >

> > Let know in the mailing-list if you have any problems!
> >

> > tarmo
> >
> > On laupäev, 20. mai 2017 9:49.16 EEST you wrote:
> > > Dear Tarmo, sorry to bother with this, but every update I face the same
> > >
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > I have downloaded Sourcecode.tar.gz from git and unpacked it. Now what?

Marcelo Carneiro
(21) 9382-3621
(21) 3497-0193

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt 0.9.3 Ubuntu

Marcelo Carneiro de Lima
Some news about the insallation:
I have been struggling with CsoundQt installation on ubuntu studio.
I did every instructions from https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/wiki/Building-CsoundQt-for-Debian-with-QtCreator
The problem is that QT Creator always finds a problem with something: :-1: error: Unknown module(s) in QT: quickwidgets

So I am still where I was some weeks ago.
Any ideas concerning how to solve this problem?
Thanks
bests
Marcelo

> [...]

> > See BUILDING.md in the source folder
> >
> > and wiki page:
> > https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/wiki/Building-CsoundQt-for-Debian-wit
> > h-QtCreator (somewhat outdated but is definitely helpful)
> >
> > and a mailing list thread:
> >

> > https://sourceforge.net/p/qutecsound/mailman/qutecsound-users/thread/CAJC3
> > J9zOiRqOkGHrLzVjWMvLsBB_Grqsk8j_fM9mJ4JAsxEYGg%40mail.gmail.com/#msg354319
> > 11
> >

> > The most important thing is to get all required Qt development packages
> > installed, then it should work quite straight-forward
> >

> > Let know in the mailing-list if you have any problems!
> >

> > tarmo
> >
> > On laupäev, 20. mai 2017 9:49.16 EEST you wrote:
> > > Dear Tarmo, sorry to bother with this, but every update I face the same
> > >
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > I have downloaded Sourcecode.tar.gz from git and unpacked it. Now what?

Marcelo Carneiro
(21) 9382-3621
(21) 3497-0193

Marcelo Carneiro
(21) 9382-3621
(21) 3497-0193

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt 0.9.3 Ubuntu

joachim-3
hi marcelo -

i did it two weeks ago on linux mint.  there were some problems, but not
this one.

what is your version of qt?

best -
        joachim

On 11/06/17 15:40, Marcelo Carneiro de Lima wrote:

> [...]
>             > > > do I install it?
>             > > >
>             > > > I am using ubuntu studio 16.04
>             > > >
>             > > > Thank you and sorry again
>             > > >
>             > > > Bests
>             > > >
>             > > > Marcelo Carneiro

>         --
>         *Marcelo Carneiro*
>         (21) 9382-3621
>         (21) 3497-0193
>         Skype: Carneiro3729
>         http://marceloarcos2.wixsite.com/marcelocarneiro
>         <http://marceloarcos2.wixsite.com/marcelocarneiro>

> *Marcelo Carneiro*
> (21) 9382-3621
> (21) 3497-0193
> Skype: Carneiro3729
> http://marceloarcos2.wixsite.com/marcelocarneiro

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt 0.9.3 Ubuntu

Hi, thanks: the version I have is 3.5.1 based on QT 5.5.1.
Now it seems I could somehow build it but the problem is when I double click on the launcher it opens the old version of csoundqt I have installed in my computer (0.9.1) instead of the new one (0.9.4). If I press run on Qt creator it will open the 0.9.4 version, but this is the only way I could manage to open the new csoundqt version.

bests

            Lima wrote:
> [...]

            > > h-QtCreator (somewhat outdated but is definitely helpful)
            > >
            > > and a mailing list thread:

            https://sourceforge.net/p/qutecsound/mailman/qutecsound-users/thread/CAJC3
            <https://sourceforge.net/p/qutecsound/mailman/qutecsound-users/thread/CAJC3>

            J9zOiRqOkGHrLzVjWMvLsBB_Grqsk8j_fM9mJ4JAsxEYGg%40mail.gmail.com/#msg354319
            <http://40mail.gmail.com/#msg354319>
            > > 11
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > > The most important thing is to get all required Qt
            development packages
            > > installed, then it should work quite straight-forward
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > > Let know in the mailing-list if you have any problems!
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > > tarmo
            > >
            > > On laupäev, 20. mai 2017 9:49.16 EEST you wrote:
            > > > Dear Tarmo, sorry to bother with this, but every
            update I face the same

            > > > problem.
            > > >
            > > > I have downloaded Sourcecode.tar.gz from git and

        *Marcelo Carneiro*
        Skype: Carneiro3729
        http://marceloarcos2.wixsite.com/marcelocarneiro
        <http://marceloarcos2.wixsite.com/marcelocarneiro>

*Marcelo Carneiro*

Skype: Carneiro3729
http://marceloarcos2.wixsite.com/marcelocarneiro

Marcelo Carneiro
(21) 9382-3621
(21) 3497-0193

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt 0.9.3 Ubuntu

joachim-3
well this should be easy to solve.  you should find in the folder with
the csoundqt sources a folder called "bin", and inside the csoundqt
version you have built.  you can launch it, or (sometimes better) drag
it into a terminal window and press return (this will give you better
error diagnostics in case of crashes).

On 11/06/17 18:03, Marcelo Carneiro de Lima wrote:

> [...]
>                 (21) 9382-3621 <tel:%2821%29%209382-3621>
>                 (21) 3497-0193 <tel:%2821%29%203497-0193>
>                 Skype: Carneiro3729
>                 http://marceloarcos2.wixsite.com/marcelocarneiro
>         <http://marceloarcos2.wixsite.com/marcelocarneiro>
>                 <http://marceloarcos2.wixsite.com/marcelocarneiro
>         <http://marceloarcos2.wixsite.com/marcelocarneiro>>

>         --
>         *Marcelo Carneiro*
>         (21) 9382-3621 <tel:%2821%29%209382-3621>
>         (21) 3497-0193 <tel:%2821%29%203497-0193>
>         Skype: Carneiro3729
>         http://marceloarcos2.wixsite.com/marcelocarneiro
>         <http://marceloarcos2.wixsite.com/marcelocarneiro>

> *Marcelo Carneiro*
> (21) 9382-3621
> (21) 3497-0193
> Skype: Carneiro3729
> http://marceloarcos2.wixsite.com/marcelocarneiro

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt 0.9.3 Ubuntu

there actually is text on the wiki page:

{{

  • If you should experience error-messages about missing components of the system do not despair but install them and relaunch your Qt-creator-Project again to build CsoundQt.

Example:
1st error message: "cannot find -lGL"

solution: sudo apt-get install mesa-common-dev

}}

I agree, that it might not be obvious and the error messages are not so clear but

"Unknown module(s) in QT: quickwidgets"

tells you that Qt's quickwidgets module is not found and you probably should install it (or its development files, the package with -dev ending).

We should make this part in the Wikipage more clear and add some example.

How to find the right packages to install?

The easiest, I guess is to open your package manager and type "quickwidgets" or do google search "which package ubuntu quickwidgets", for me it was helpful and I found out that the package is called libqt5quickwidgets5

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libqt5quickwidgets5

Then you can use apt-get to install the package ( + it's development package):

sudo apt-get install libqt5quickwidgets5 libqt5quickwidgets5-dev

I am not on Ubuntu, cannot test, maybe other users know it better.

If you get messages about similar missing modules or libraries, do the same.

I know, first time it is painstaking to understand the logic and vocabulary, but I sure you will get through it!

tarmo

On pühapäev, 11. juuni 2017 10:40.52 EEST Marcelo Carneiro de Lima wrote:

> Some news about the insallation:

> I have been struggling with CsoundQt installation on ubuntu studio.

> I did every instructions from

> https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/wiki/Building-CsoundQt-for-Debian-with-

> QtCreator The problem is that QT Creator always finds a problem with

> something: :-1: error: Unknown module(s) in QT: quickwidgets

> So I am still where I was some weeks ago.

> Any ideas concerning how to solve this problem?

> Thanks

> bests

> Marcelo

> > Hi,

> > The hint seems to be correct. Do you have git installed and configured in

> > QtCreator (Options - Version control) if git is there, it should work out

> > of the box usually

> > OR

> > downlad sources as zip or tar.gz file from github, unpack and open

> > qcs.pro (Open Project) in QtCreator.

> > Your feedback is very valuable - then it is possible to improve the

> > building instructions!

> > Tarmo

> > 25.05.2017 3:42 kirjutas kuupäeval "Marcelo Carneiro de Lima" <

> > [hidden email]>:

> >> Hi, I am trying to follow the instructions on

> >> https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/wiki/Building-CsoundQt-

> >> for-Debian-with-QtCreator. First thing is: "In QtCreator, choose New

> >> Project > Import Project > Git Clone. Insert

> >> https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt.git as Repository.".

> >> After doing this and press Next QTCreator says that the requested URL

> >> presented a fatal Error 400

> >> Everything stucks and no Csoundqt yet.

> >> Any tips? :(

> >> --

> >> *Marcelo Carneiro*

> >> (21) 9382-3621

> >> (21) 3497-0193

> >> Skype: Carneiro3729

> >> http://marceloarcos2.wixsite.com/marcelocarneiro

Re: [Qutecsound-users] Csoundqt 0.9.3 Ubuntu

Marcelo Carneiro de Lima
Hi Tarmo, I did something that I don't know if it was the right way, but somehow it worked and csoundqt built. I create a new process on qt creator targeting for qcs.pro file. Then the cosundqt 0.9.4 launcher was build. It appeared as a general ubuntu launcher (the gray diamond figure) without csoundqt icon, but I managed to put it on "audio production" menu on ubuntu studio and attached the "icon" to it (I mean the green C symbol/design/image). I can now run csoundqt 0.9.4 and I am very happy about it, but I know I did things more in a "trial and error" than a really logical one. Despite this, if I call for csoundqt on the terminal it will still runs csoundqt0.9.1 which is also installed on my Linux machine.
I also reinstalled (before all that) csound 6.09 because when running csoundqt from Qt creator I realized it was calling csound 6.05 instead. It seemed to me that something went wrong when I have tried to install 6.09 for the first time. So I did it again. Go figure...
Well that's my world: one of a non-programmer trying to walk around the programming and programmers path. I must improve myself in that area, I know, so I will keep working.
Thank you for all your help and tips.
Best
Marcelo